One last try

Two wins in a whole year isn’t quite what I would call a successful season.

My team, the girls’ soccer team, did not have a spectacular season last year.

My freshman year, going on four years ago, the team made it to the finals of Central Coast Section. At the time, I was excited to be there with my new team, but as time goes on I realize more and more what a big deal it was. The seniors were pumped for the game, but for me it just seemed like another match. We played Monta Vista High School for the third time. But In reality, I should have wanted to win that game more than any other because it was the finals of CCS and my chances of getting there again in the future would be very slim.

The next year, we ended our streak at the semi-finals, and the year after that, with only two wins we didn’t even manage to see the first round of CCS.

Right now, it’s coming to the end of that future – one year to go. Once again, like every year before, the team has amazing players. Girls’ soccer consistently has the best individual players in the league, and this year is no different. The new players coming to the team are great contributions to the already solid group of returning players.

I wish I could say that was enough to take us far, but as previous years have shown, it’s not even close to enough.

Trying to make something work out on the pitch with players who don’t know each other is hard enough. Up until freshman year, we saw our club teams year round four or five days a week, now high school season gives us a break from our club. The most challenging part is remembering how to play together.

I always get asked the same question from parents, other players, and other coaches – what happened!?

In my opinion it should be a short answer, like our team just didn’t click. But that’s not it either, the year we went to the finals our team was more separated than ever, while last year our team stayed bonded through plenty of losses.

We have yet to see what our problem is or how to fix it, but this year we hope to find out with the help from a new head coach, Kurt Devlin, and his staff.

With the new coaching staff, we have been working very hard at practices to fix our downward slope, so a loss Wednesday night to Homestead (0-2) was a big disappointment. However, the whole team is looking forward to the new season. With a handful of changes, this might just be the season we have all been waiting for.