Fueling Your Fitness
Amanda Goody and Jonathan Yuan March 28, 2024
Winning With Water Bottles
Game Day: Pregame Rituals with Varsity Athletes

Girls’ tennis wins over Milpitas, 6-1

The Palo Alto High School girls’ tennis team defeated Milpitas High School, 6-1, on Wednesday at Paly in its final preseason match.

Brushing off an inconsistent performance against Saratoga High School the day before, the Lady Vikes pulled together and delivered in all three doubles matches, with senior Sabrina Yeung and junior Amy Ke controlling the number one court. They won 6-3, 6-4. Although Paly is ranked and placed in a higher league, the pair did not let the title get in the way of executing a strong performance.

“Overall, we expected to win,” Yeung said. “We’re in a higher league.”

The pair thought they could have finished their sets earlier and quicker if they were more consistent with their serves.

“Both our serves didn’t work out,” Yeung said. “We definitely need to close the match sooner.”

On the singles courts, the Lady Vikes held off the Trojans, losing the number one singles match, but delivering in the other three.

Still recovering from a lower back injury endured the week before, senior Mira Khanna lost her match 2-6, 2-6 in the number one singles court. However, she recognizes the changes that need to be made before the season.

“I started off pretty slowly,” Khanna said. “I lost my focus and my service return was pretty weak. I’m working on playing the ball deeper in [my opponent’s side of] the court.”

Khanna also attributes part of her loss to the skill of her opponent, Milpitas senior Vivian Nguyen.

“I’ve played her before,” Khanna said. “She just kills short service returns. I think I played a lot better than yesterday, but I still need improvement.”

The team also saw an outstanding performance on the number three singles court, with senior Sammy Solomon closing out early 6-0, 6-0.

The Vikings will begin league play against Homestead High School in their next match. It begins at 3:30 p.m. next Thursday, Sept. 30 at Homestead.