Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Girls’ Tennis Beats Gunn En Route To CCS

The Palo Alto High School girls’ varsity tennis team defeated archrival Gunn High School 5-2 this Tuesday in its second to last league match at the Paly courts

Together, the Lady Vikes rallied to clinch a crucial victory and remain a contender in their league. With this win over Gunn under their belt, the Lady Vikes will train hard to prepare for their last league match against Homestead High School. If victorious, the team will secure its seed in Central Coast Section (CCS) playoffs and be tied for third place in league.

Head coach Andy Harader expressed relief after putting away Gunn, conceding that the result of each Paly-Gunn match up depends on each team’s desire to win.

“On any given day, [Gunn] can rise to the occasion,” Harader said. “They haven’t had such a good season and it would have made their season a lot more palatable had they beat us.”

Captain Mira Khanna ('11) sends the ball over the net during the Gunn match on Tues., Oct. 26, 2010.

Since the Lady Vikes fought to maintain a dominant lead in their matches, they emerged with wins from all three doubles teams. Number one doubles duo Margot Gerould (’11) and Felicia Wang (’14) put The Titans away after playing three sets. Amy Ke (’12) and Sabrina Yeung (’11) finished off their opponent after coming up short in the first set to win 6-2 and 6-1. Maya Krasnow (’11) and Emily Efland (’11) won in their first two sets, both with scores of 6-1.

“Gunn’s doubles are always tough,” Harader said. “What we have been working on the last couple of weeks, which is being tougher in third sets really, has paid off. [We won] more third sets today than we lost, so that turned around a statistic.”

On the number one singles court, the Lady Vikes’ Mira Khanna (’11) matched up against Titan Alana Booth in a close match, ending with Khanna losing in the third tiebreaking set. Nevertheless, singles players Sammy Solomon (’13) and Aashli Budhirhaa (’14) both won their matches, pulling the team ahead of Gunn for the overall win.

“I started off a lot slower and it took me awhile to warm up and I was making a ton of unforced errors,” Khanna said. “I’m really glad that [the Lady Vikes] came and pulled through [because] there were a couple of close matches.”

Solomon echoes this opinion and was pleased that Lady Vikes once again proved themselves on the court.

“Our team has done really well against them [Gunn] in the past,” Solomon said. “We had a good chance of beating them and I’m glad we pulled out a win. They’re our rivals so we always play tough against them.”

In a deciding match against Homestead at home this Thursday at 3:30 pm, the team will play to claim its spot in the upcoming CCS tournament.