Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024
The Hidden MVPs
The Hidden MVPs
Jason Hu and Ben Levav April 11, 2024

Cross-country finishes second in city championship behind Gunn

The Paly girls’ and boys’ cross-country teams finished second in the city championship at Gunn this afternoon. The Lady Vikes beat Castilleja 43-78; however, Gunn came out on top with a total of 21 points. The boys’ team lost to Gunn 21-28 points.

Despite the loss, the Paly boy’s team took first and second place thanks to Lucas Matison (‘15) and Kent Slaney (‘16). Matison won the 2.18-mile race with a time of 10:59.3. Slaney came in with the next fastest time 11:15.3.

“I think that we did great,” Slaney said. “Everyone ran really well and it was a great race overall.”

For the girls’ race, Sarah Robinson from Gunn claimed first with a time of 11:49.6. Paly’s Bryn Carlson (‘16) placed second with a time of 12:28.5. Carlson was content with her finish.

“I am happy I beat [Claire Hu] from Gunn who had come ahead of me in the past couple of races,” Carlson said.

Hu had placed a close third with a time of 12:48.4.

Overall, girls’ head coach Paul Jones was satisfied with the result of both the Paly girls’ and boys’ races.

“I think we preformed really well today,” Jones said. “I was real happy with how the girls came along. I thought we had a rough spot in the middle of the season, but it looks like things are heading in the right direction now.”

The Vikings will run next at the SCVAL championships held next Tuesday, November 5, at Crystal Springs