TJ Braff: Male Upperclassman of the Year

TJ Braff (11) hits the ball in a game during the 2010 season.
TJ Braff (’11) hits the ball in a game during the 2010 season.

Ask anyone that experienced the Paly-Centennial state final game and they will credit TJ Braff for being a key contributor to the Viking’s 15-13 victory over the Huskies.

Ask Braff and he will credit all of his teammates and never once mention his own accolades. An integral part of the varsity football and baseball teams, this humble, team driven, quiet leader has shined at Paly during his four years here.  A varsity three sport athlete throughout high school, Braff embodies the physical ability and mentality to rise from a a typical athlete to the male upperclassman athlete of the year.

“His mentality, that’s the extra on top of his talent that makes him better than everybody else,” baseball head coach Erik Raich said.  “I think he is more talented than a lot of people, but I think that that demeanor that he brings to the field takes him to that upper level.”

Braff has the talent.  He has been a member of the varsity baseball team since freshmen year, varsity football since sophomore year, and varsity basketball since sophomore year. No matter the sport, the position he is playing, or the score of the game Braff gives his all.

Braff excels on both sides of the ball.  He is a force as the Viking’s strong safety on defense and a tight end on offense. Cal High Sports and the Mercury News named Braff defensive player of the year, and named first team all state by Max Preps.

“He was a motivator on the defensive side of the ball and obviously a captain of the defense,” quarterback Christoph Bono (’11) said.  “On offense, he was always there when I needed him.   He was in the right spot at the right time.  He was someone that I could count on and get the ball to and [he could] make a play with it.”

In baseball, Braff plays first and third base.  Just as in football, Braff contributes to the Viking’s offense and defense, making plays on both sides of the ball game.

“The fact that he could pick up any sport and be the best at it [sets him apart],” Will Glazier, teammate for four years on football and three years on baseball, said.  “TJ doesn’t have any one attribute in any sport that sets him so far above, but he can do everything.  In baseball he can make the diving play, field every grounder really slick, and he has a great arm.”

Braff contributes to the game beyond stats, however.  He combines the qualities of a technically skilled athlete with a humble team player.  When asking him about the success of the Paly football season, Braff gave credit not to any single player’s performance, but to the work ethic of the entire team.

“The higher you get, the harder you have to work,” Braff said.  “That’s part of the reason our football team did so well this year, because everyone worked so hard.  That definitely showed on the field.  So I just try to keep that going for all the sports.”

Braff certainly does a good job of bringing that work ethic to the team.  He brings a positive vibe to the team, he is friendly to all, and he is always humble.  He helps to create an atmosphere where everyone is enjoying themselves and having fun.

“[His teammates] all love him,” baseball head coach Erik Raich said.  “You’d think with a big physical presence he’d be a verbal leader but he really isn’t.  It’s more we feed off of him and what he does performance-wise.”

As a quiet leader, Braff leads by example, always working hard.  His easy-going attitude and great work ethic are contageous.  He is consistent and his teammates can trust him both in practice and in the game.

“I think something that a lot of people notice is that he is a really hard worker,” Bono said. “He works on his skills a lot.  When it comes down to a pressure situation in a game, it’s not a big deal for him to make the play and he will just stay in the moment and take care of what needs to be done.”

Braff will continue his athletic career at Santa Clara University, where he signed to play Division I baseball. Braff anticipates bringing his hard work to Santa Clara with him and plans to work harder this summer to prepare to make the jump to the collegiate level.

“I think just practicing a lot, doing a lot of baseball over the summer [will help], and seeing a lot of good pitching,” Braff said.

Braff is not your ordinary athlete. He goes beyond what is expected, both in practice and in games.  Bringing both baseball and football to the most stellar seasons they have had in years, Braff has taken the opportunity to do something great for the Paly sports community and stepped up to the occasion.  His attitude and raw athletic ability raise the bar of what a leader should be, and filling his shoes next year will be a difficult task.