Fueling Your Fitness
Amanda Goody and Jonathan Yuan March 28, 2024
Winning With Water Bottles
Game Day: Pregame Rituals with Varsity Athletes

Now and Then

Coach Earl Hansen commands the Viking offense in the 2010 season against Archbishop Mitty. That season, the Vikings finished with a 14-0 record and won the state title.

Exactly two years, seven months, and 23 days after the Palo Alto varsity football team fell to Orange Lutheran High School in the California State Championship, varsity football head coach Earl Hansen and this year’s squad stepped onto the field for the inaugural practice of the 2009 season. Donning brand-new practice jerseys and crisp white helmets, new faces replaced those of seasons past. Although each year brings new talent and different challenges for the team, Paly football is renowned for its unwavering tradition of excellence on the gridiron.

Even with outstanding talent, and a great deal of leadership from their team captains, the ’09 team is undoubtedly different from the ’06 unit, whom many consider to be the greatest team in the history of Paly football. Despite having several standout players on par with those of the ’06 team, the 2009 team still lacks what their predecessor had in several key areas.

As a member of the ’06 team, Will Holder (’09) still remembers watching the team dominate throughout the entire season.

“The state team had size, speed, talent and discipline that is unmatched to this point,” Holder said.

The ’06 offensive line included three players pushing 300 pounds with All-State guard Fred Koloto (’07), left tackle Uly Morales (’07), and right tackle Will Elmore (’07), all of whom are 6’4″ or taller. For the 2009 squad, only left tackle Kevin Anderson (’11) reaches 6’4″.

“I think Fred Koloto had a huge impact on the team,” wide receiver Harry Woolson (’09) said. “Also, Buddy Benaderet was excellent on both sides of the ball.”

Even though the size difference is evident in this year’s team, the new squad is just as conditioned for the season to come. Four of this year’s starting offensive linemen are likely to bench press 300 pounds before the year ends, each of whom dedicates a great deal of time to achieve the strength necessary to dominate their opponents. This elite group includes Kevin Anderson, guard AJ Castillo (’10), center Marco Scola (’10), and tackle Troy Boyland (’10).

“The ’06 line was incredible,” running back Sam Tompkins-Jenkins (’09) said. “They were potentially the biggest line in all of California at that time.”

As for the skill positions, the 2009 team may struggle to match up with the ’06 squad. Running backs Terry Beasley (’10), Will Glazier (’11), Peter Ibarra (’10) and Miles Anderson (’11) are all undersized in comparison to 6’1″ and 270 pound fullback Sione Mataele (’08). Likewise, this year’s starting quarterback, Christoph Bono (’11), has a large void to fill in comparison to quarterbacks Will Brandin (’09) and Nick Goodspeed (’07), both of whom enjoyed wildly successful careers at Paly. Though this is another area where inexperience could hurt the team, Bono has maintained a high level of composure thus far.

“Goodspeed was an insane quarterback for the ’06 team,” Tompkins-Jenkins said. “Even though Bono lacks experience, he should be really good in the next two years.”

Looking back at the ’06 Vikings, one often remembers names such as running back Will Frazier (’07) and wide receiver Mike Scott (’08), who led the team with their immense play-making abilities.

Fortunately, this year brings Davante Adams (’11) and Maurice Williams (’11) to the team, with All-League receiver Joc Pederson (’10) returning. The trio will be the starting receivers for the team this year, and it is clear that all three possess uncanny athletic abilities that will undoubtedly aid the team in this season.

“There have been big changes to the offense with the more spread-out look that we developed two years ago,” Holder said. “They will probably have to utilize it in this season, due to the athleticism that they have at wide receiver with Joc and Maurice returning and Davante coming in.”

Though this year’s team will be forced to work harder and stay engaged late in each game, quickness and precise execution will help the team to pull off wins against tougher opponents such as Los Gatos High School and Wilcox High School.

“If they can achieve their goals and continue to perform at a high level,” said Holder, “the 2009 Paly football team will definitely be one to remember.”