Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Viking Workout

Single Leg Squats:  Start with your legs about shoulder width apart. Extend one leg straight out while bending the opposite knee. Reach with the hand that is on the side your knee is bending. You want to try and make a parallel line with the extended knee and your outreached hand.    (TIP: Lean forward so your weight is pushing towards your extended leg to stay balanced)  3-4 sets of 10
Single Leg Squats: Start with your legs about shoulder width apart. Extend one leg straight out while bending the opposite knee. Reach with the hand that is on the side your knee is bending. You want to try and make a parallel line with the extended knee and your outreached hand. (TIP: Lean forward so your weight is pushing towards your extended leg to stay balanced) 3-4 sets of 10

The Viking prides itself in being a magazine full of athletes. This issue we decided to explore what makes us athletes and how we prepare our bodies for competition. We spoke to Brian Fox and Nick Weiss, two certified personal trainers at Equinox Fitness Club, in Palo Alto, as well as Aaron Ryan, Equinox’s fitness manager.

CORE

Classic Plank: Prop yourself up on your elbows. Keep them shoulder width apart. Your body should be parallel with the ground. 4 sets of 30 seconds on the plank and 30 seconds off

Side Plank: Prop yourself up on one elbow or if you prefer, hold yourself up with one arm extended. Extend the opposite arm straight into the air so it is perpendicular to the ground. 4 sets of 30 seconds on the plank and 30 seconds off

Scissor Kicks: Lie flat on your back with your legs resting on the ground also.
Lift one leg as high as you can, but keep both knees straight. Alternate legs in a "scissor" motion. 4 sets of 30

LEGS

Side Lateral Lunge Squats: Start with your feet about a foot wider than shoulder width apart. Start to lean to one side so your weight is on your heel. Make sure to push your hips back. Then do the same to the other side. (TIP: If you are having a hard time, keep your hands on your hips or reach to the ground as you lunge) 3-4 sets of 15

Burpee: Start in a squat position with your hands on the floor in front of you.
Shoot your legs back into pushup position.

Return your feet to that squat position and shoot up, jumping as high off the ground from squat position.

Editor’s Note: The exercises expressed above reflect the advice given to the author by certified personal trainers. The Viking does not necessarily endorse these exercises, and will not take responsibility for an injury resulting from the decision to partake in them.