The Healing Game
The Healing Game
Beau Revenaugh and Carter BurnettMarch 28, 2024
Gridiron Gaming
Gridiron Gaming
Lucas Tung and Tyler CheungMarch 28, 2024
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dylan Robinson, Max Merkel, Tyler Martin, and Grace GormleyMarch 28, 2024

Against all odds: Justin Grey’s remarkable return to the spotlight

An+x-ray+reveals+the+broken+orbital+bone+%28shown+right%29+varsity+football+and+baseball+player+Justin+Grey+%2812%29+sustained+his+Junior+year.++Since+then+Grey+has+bounced+back+and+emerged+as+a+vital+component+of+the+football+teams+success+this+season.+
photo provided by Justin Grey
An x-ray reveals the broken orbital bone (shown right) varsity football and baseball player Justin Grey (’12) sustained his Junior year. Since then Grey has bounced back and emerged as a vital component of the football team’s success this season.

Life is full of opportunities, and for varsity football and baseball player Justin Grey (‘12), one arose in a football game against Milpitas last year. Three quarters into the contest, Paly held a 28-0 advantage and the game was all but over.

With the outcome already decided, the starters were removed and the second-stringers came in, including Grey, a backup strong safety at the time. The blowout provided a great opportunity for him and the rest of his fellow reserves.  It was a moment any backup player longs for: A chance to finally prove himself.

“It is very important [to take advantage of an opportunity],” Grey said. “It’s important because that opportunity may not arise in the future so it’s best to capitalize on it while you still can.”

After waiting the whole game, Grey finally entered at strong safety.  Just a few plays in, he went to make a tackle and the once promising moment took a turn for the worst. Chris Ramirez (‘12), his varsity teammate at the time, recalls watching the incident from the sideline.

“[Grey] came up to make a tackle on a player that was running down our sideline,” he said. “[Grey] then laid a pretty big hit on the opposing player and everyone on the sideline cheered.  [However], he then [walked] off the field [in pain] with his head down.  The trainers ran over to assist him, and he was then rushed to the hospital.”

Although he is not completely sure, Grey surmises that while making the tackle, the opposing player jammed his hand through Grey’s face-mask, breaking his orbital bone, the socket of the skull that holds the eye, and knocking him, along with his hopes of earning a starting role on the team, out for the remainder of the season.

Grey was forced to enjoy the rest of Paly’s magical season that concluded with a state title from the sidelines, wondering whether or not he would play in a Viking uniform ever again.

“I was a little worried about getting hurt more seriously than that,” Grey said. “Getting hurt again [and quitting] was definitely on my mind.”

It was also a tough time for Grey’s family, which has dealt with a history of sports-related injuries.  Grey’s father Eric Grey, who also played football at Paly and coincidentally missed his junior year after he broke his arm in a preseason game, explained in an email interview.

“Justin has been in the emergency room three times for football alone,” he wrote.  “It wasn’t easy for the family.  Justin’s eye socket fracture was stressful because of the prospect of having to fix it.  After getting the doctors’ advice we decided not to have surgery, and to keep him off the field for the rest of the year.”

Despite the daunting injury, Grey decided that after a long and uncertain off-season, he would continue playing football for Paly.  His toughness made his parents very proud of their resilient son.

“Justin always had doubts about football, especially in the off-season, but he always strapped on the helmet the first day,” Eric wrote.  “[I] am very proud of him for that.”

This season, Grey was once again healthy, and finally had the chance to prove himself as he aspired to do the night of his injury.  Starting at field goal kicker, defensive back and occasionally punt returner, Grey enjoyed much more success this season.  He finished the season averaging nearly three tackles a game, with 25 assisted tackles and two punt returns for touchdowns. Grey’s parents, Eric and Kim, credit this improvement to their son’s robust commitment.

“He has an inner drive and determination − and a little support and prayer from his family,” Eric and Kim wrote.

Grey’s improved play did not go unnoticed by Paly’s head football coach Earl Hansen.

“Justin [did] a great job throughout the year [for us],” Hansen said. “[This season], it seemed like his confidence improved, and he really stepped up. He’s always been a team player and always played and practiced hard. It just [showed this season].”

Even though Grey exceeded all expectations this season, he knows that his play did not improve overnight, and credits his newfound success to “hard work and trying really hard [to get better].”

Hansen also attributes Grey’s progress to his uncanny dedication.

“He really stepped up, and [worked] hard at it,” Hansen said. “He [was] out there late every night practicing extra.”

Despite the extreme amount of effort Grey puts into football, it is not the only extra curricular activity he takes part in.  On the weekends, Grey trains to be a firefighter as a Palo Alto Fire Explorer.

“We train at the fire station in Palo Alto,” Grey said. “We also take classes on emergency response, and get certified in first response and basic firefighting standby first aid.”

What sets Grey apart from his peers is that firefighting is not just something he does on the side; he thoroughly enjoys this off-the-field passion and seriously considers making it a significant part of his future.

“[Firefighting] is definitely something I want to do [in the future],” Grey said.  “It is something I’ve wanted to do for a while and I’m definitely pursuing that.”

Most Paly students strive to attend a four-year university where they can further their education.  However, while Grey values education, he has other priorities.  His genuine love for assisting others has motivated him to attend a community college where he can solely pursue his passion.

“I plan on studying fire protection technology at Mission College [in Santa Clara], and hope to become a firefighter in the future,” he said. “I’m doing this because the feeling you get after you help someone is like no other.”

While Grey enjoys firefighting, it is a vocation that brings along with it a daily risk. For Grey’s parents, however, his passion for the profession far outweighs any risks that might accompany it.

“Everyone in the end chooses their own profession,” Eric wrote. “And every profession in life has some risk.  [Kim and I] would never stand in his way of serving the public. We are [as] proud of his accomplishments with the Explorers as we are with his sports.”

Grey’s close friend and varsity baseball teammate Clay Carey (‘12) also respects his friend’s decision to pursue his passion.

“It’s what he wants to do, so you can tell it’s his passion and I’m happy for him,” Carey said.  “I hope he can be a firefighter for a town I live in someday.”

Grey acknowledges that his firefighting background played a major role in both his recovery and improvement on the gridiron.

“The physical aspects of [football and firefighting] complement one another,” he said.  “The hard and sometimes painful work experienced in football helps a lot when learning about firefighting and vice versa. Also, knowing basic anatomy [from Explorer training], I knew what had happened to me and what I needed to do to recover, while most people probably don’t. That knowledge also helped me understand how to avoid future injuries.”

His background with medical aid, the support of his family and friends, and his devotion to improve on the field all contributed to Grey’s resurgence this year.  However, as Eric explains, Grey has not abruptly become a star. He has been an extraordinary talent all through high school, and just happened to receive more credit this season.

“He had great success as the freshman quarterback and had an even better year as the sophomore quarterback,” he wrote.  “They won league, he was all-league quarter back, and had seven touchdowns against Homestead.  Last year he was hurt so it’s hard to say how he would have done.  It was tough playing behind last year’s seniors so I don’t see last year as a lack of success. However, compared to last year this year [was] awesome for him.”

As the late, great John Wooden once said, “Sports don’t build character, they reveal it.”  And Grey’s ability to bounce back from a change in position and a serious, career-threatening injury, speaks volumes about his resilient character.  Grey’s father put it best:

“His inner drive to succeed overcomes the fear of pain.”