Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024

Football conquers Milpitas, 62-35, to win league

The Palo Alto Vikings (8-2, 6-1) won the De Anza, Santa Clara Valley Athletic League Title, 62-35, over Milpitas High School (7-3, 4-3).
Starting off the game, receiver B.J. Boyd (‘12) hustled up the field for a 55-yard kick off return. After a few drives, running back Morris Gates-Mouton (‘12) found the endzone with a 35-yard touchdown run. After the Vikings’ quick offensive possession, the Milpitas offense regained its composure. With some confusion in the Vikings’ backfield, Milpitas quarterback Tony Sauceda (‘12) connected with receivers Jordan Lockett (‘12) and Rodney Mckenzie (‘12), gaining over 25 yards.
However, the Viking defense stalled the drive  with a sack from  defensive end Mike Lyzwa (‘12) and strong run defense, forcing the Trojans to punt. Soon afterward, Hill ran the ball for a 60-yard touchdown, changing the score to 14-0.

The Trojan offense could not find the composure they had earlier on in the game, fumbling the ball to Viking linebacker Austin Braff (‘12).With several drives towards the end zone, the Trojan defense had no answer to the Vikings’ offense. Towards the end of the first quarter, Hill burst through the middle of the Trojan defensive line and into the endzone, for a  21-0 lead.

“We came out and played our game,” Justin Grey (‘12) said.

To wrap up the first quarter, the Milpitas offense  again found its rhythm with multiple catches by various receivers, capped off with a touchdown from Trojan running back, Tre Hartley (‘12) adding on seven points for Milpitas.

Boyd answered Hartley’s touchdown with an 80-yard kick off return for a touchdown. The score at the beginning of the second was now 28-7, Vikings.

B.J. Boyd is congratulated after returning his sixth kick off of the year for a touchdown.

Later on in the second quarter, Viking quarterback Keller Chryst (‘12) found the hands of Boyd for a 45 yard touchdown pass.

“Offensively we were excellent,”  head coach Earl Hansen said.

The Viking defense shook up the Trojan offense with sacks from Lyzwa, Erik Anderson (‘13), Chris Martinez (‘12) and Tory Prati (‘12).

The Vikings’ strong offensive unity started to fall apart when the ball slipped out of Hill’s hands and into the hands of the Trojan defense.

“I had a rough start but I bounced back,” Hill said.

The Milpitas offense used their momentum to complete a pass to Sammy Fanua (‘12) to score a touchdown.

The Trojans shook off their first quarter struggles and tapped on another seven points with a 77-yard touchdown by Lockett. The score was 35-21 with three minutes  and 12 seconds until the end of the first half.

With the Trojans creeping up on the Vikings, the Paly offense needed a response. But a miscommunication on the Vikings’ part led to another fumble which was recovered by Milpitas on the Paly 20 yard line.

Trojans’ quarterback however,  allowed Malcom Davis (‘14) to intercept the ball with a rushed pass. Paly now led 35-21 going into the half.

Coming fresh out of the first half, M. Gates-Mouton exploded towards the endzone adding on six more points for Paly.

With multiple runs up the middle, the Trojan defense began falling apart. Hill and M. Gates-Mouton wore away the Milpitas defensive line. Hill ran in another touchdown, securing a 48-21 advantage.

The Paly defense had some problems in the backfield with Milpitas recievers. The Trojans completed numerous passes and eventually scored, trailing the Vikings’ 48-28.

With confusion on both sides of the ball, the Viking offense could not push through the Trojans’ defense. With a failed attempt at a fake point after attempt, the Trojans managed to hold the Vikings’ near the endzone.

Nearing the end of the game, Gabe Landa (‘12) snagged an airborn ball, changing possetion. After multiple offensive drives, Hill muscled up the middle scoring his third touchdown of the night.

Paly defenders held up any offensive drives that Milpitas attempted.

Justin Gates-Mouton (‘13) swept around many Trojan defenders, scoring a 33-yard touchdown. This was the Vikings’ final touchdown of the night.

The Paly Vikings’ will play their next contender on Nov. 18th. The opponent will be determined on Sunday, Nov. 13th.

“We are going to work three times as hard because it is playoffs” Hill said.