Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates
Paly Baseball Defeats Gunn 11-3
Tyler Martin, Online Editor-in-Chief • April 20, 2024
Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024

Hitting leads to Viking domination in baseball

Arun Varma (12) pitches in game against Menlo Atherton
Arun Varma (’12) pitches in game against Menlo Atherton

Hitting was the key.  With two homeruns, two triples and four doubles, the Palo Alto baseball team (3-0 SCVAL) blew out Cupertino High School (0-3 SCVAL), 15-0, at home.

Today was a continuation of the Viking’s dominant league play. They have outscored their opponents 39-0 in their first three league games.

Beyond their hitting, the Vikings’ defense had a next-to-perfect game with no errors.

Drake Swezey ('11) beats the runner out with a throw to first in the Vikings 15-0 victory.

“It takes a lot of offense and great pitching [to beat a team by 15],” infielder Joey Rodgers (’12) said in his first appearance as a Viking after transferring from St. Francis (Mountain View) this year.

Rodgers and every other player on the roster, including pitchers Ben Sneider (’12), Sam Maliska (’11), Graham Marchant (’11) and Arun Varma (’12)  got a chance to make an appearance on Paly’s new field today.

“It was a great day for baseball and I’m glad everyone got a chance to play,” shortstop Austin Braff (’12), who had four RBI on the day, said.

Braff’s brother T.J. (’11) and catcher Christian Lonsky (’12) both added homeruns in the third and first innings, respectively, racking up a total of four RBI on the day.

The Vikings continue their league play tomorrow against Cupertino at home and hope to extend their winning streak to six.

“We’ll just have to come out [tomorrow] and do the same thing we did today,” Lonsky said.