Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Menlo School edges Paly girls’ lacrosse, 9-8

The Paly girls’ varsity lacrosse team (1-3,1-0) lost to the Menlo School (1-1,0-0) this afternoon 9-8. As reflected by the one goal difference, the game was close the entire way.

Paly opened the scoring early, jumping out to a one-goal lead on its first possession. Midfielder Nina Kelty (’13) put it in the net from just inside the eight-meter line and was assisted by attacker Emily Benatar (’11).

Menlo added two more goals but goalie Gayle Schumacher (’11) would deny the Knights making a beautiful one-on-one fast break save. Kimmie Flather (’12) found the back of the net for the Lady Vikes with 16:27 left in the half and four minutes later Benatar would be on the other end of the combination with Kelty.

Menlo would score twice more before the end of the half, but Kelty would beat the Menlo defense again to lead Paly to a 4-4 tie going into the half.

Menlo would open the second half with a fast goal, putting them up 5-4. The Lady Vikes would come back soon though quick score of their own: a fast break with fantastic movement between Jordan Smith (’13), Kimmie Flather (’12) and a quick finish by Vivienne La (’11). Charlotte Biffar (’13) would add another goal to grab the lead at for Paly. Menlo surged back into the lead, riding the play of their two star midfielders, who took the ball coast to coast and found the back of the net. Senior Gracie Cain would add a goal and Flather would tack on another to make the score 9-8.

With 46 seconds left, the Lady Vikes got the ball down low but the Menlo goal keeper would a make a superb game saving save to hold the score at 9-8. One last rush by Paly was not enough to over come the deficit and they finished the game one goal down.

The Lady Vikes play tomorrow at Saint Francis and hope to take down one of the WCAL’s top teams.