Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024

Paly softball continues to lose but second half of season looks hopeful

The Palo Alto Softball team seems to be on a new stride heading into the second half of the season.

During the first half, the team looked strong in their first two games of the season defeating Bulingame 6-3 and prevailing over Terra Nova 9-0. Despite the early victories, the Vikes entered what is now an eight game losing streak. Even though they faced big defeats against Leland and Wilcox, the Vikes are getting ready to redeem themselves as they go into the second half of the season after performing well against Los Altos.

The team lost to Los Altos 3 to 2 at Pinewood in the C. Miguel Tournament yesterday. The Lady Vikes played well, making only one error the whole game, a good improvement from previous games . Last time the Vikes faced Los Altos, they put together only three hits, two from captain and center fielder Anna Rizza (’13) and nine Viking batters were struck out. Los Altos dominated the Vikes, stringing together nine hits and five runs. The Vikings have been plagued with errors this season so far. But in today’s game the team not only limited errors but also put the bat on the ball multiple times. Pitcher Julia Saul (’14) also had a good game keeping the Eagles’ hits to a minimum.

The Vikes may have lost today’s game but middle infielder Hannah Bundy (’14) has hopes for the team.

“I think we all really wanted to play well,” Bundy said regarding today’s game. “We realized we have nothing more to lose and everything to gain.” Bundy and several teammates believe that the team is on the right path and that if they keep a competitive attitude for the  rest of the season, that they can finish the season strong.