Homestead defeats Paly boys’ tennis 6-1

Carl Goodfriend (’16) jumps up to return the ball. The Vikings went on to lose to Homestead 6-1.

Samuel Desré, Staff Writer

The Palo Alto High School boys’ varsity tennis team was taken down by Homestead High School, 6-1, yesterday afternoon at Paly.

Adrian Smith (’17) lost to Woosan Kim in a final score of 6-1, 6-0. The Mustangs were off to a strong start while the Vikings trailed behind.

Raymond Li (’15) quickly put Paly back in the game with a win over Lucas Bandericer in a final score of 6-2, 6-4.

Unfortunately, the Vikings quickly fell back again after losing the last two singles of the day. Shiv Matta (’16) lost to Adit Kishen 6-1 in the first set before rising his game during the second set. However it was not enough, as Matta lost the second set 6-7. Carl Goodfriend (’16) could not bring the Vikings back in the game despite strong serves, falling to Nitza Ricklis 6-1, 6-2.

The Vikings had to win the three doubles to rise above Homestead. Henry Badger (’17) and Kevin Chen (’17) ended the Vikings’ hopes as they lost against Amit Kohli and Andy Hou in two sets that both ended on a score of 6-3.

Homestead also took the last two doubles as each double pair lost its serve once a set.

Paly only won two sets during the seven games and lost in a final score of 6-1.

The Vikings now have an overall record of 8-4 and a league record of 1-4.

Goodfriend voiced his opinion on Homestead’s team and his hopes for the rest of the season.

“The team we played had a really good lineup this year and will be hard to face again,” Goodfriend said. “I’m hoping for the future matches that we can turn our good playing in victories.”

The Vikings will face Serra High School at 3 p.m this afternoon hoping to recover from a through loss.