Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024
Jason Hu and Ben Levav April 11, 2024

Baseball now tied for first in league with Wilcox

On Friday afternoon, the Paly baseball team was unable to come back from a 1-0 deficit, despite defeating Wilcox this Wednesday (8-5).

Paly defense as well as the pitching by Chris Smith (’14), were able to hold Wilcox to zero runs up until 3rd inning. However, the Viking hitting started out slow.

Finally gaining momentum by the bottom of the 2nd with one out, Bowen Gerould (’14) had one hit and was able to steal second with Rowan Thompson (’13) at bat. Although Thompson got on base with a walk, the Vikings were unable to capitalize.

At the top of the third, the Chargers hit a triple and with an RBI, were able to score bringing the score to 1-0.

At the top of the sixth with Paly in the outfield, the Vikings displayed good defense to keep the Charger lead to one. With one out by James Foug (’14) and the Charger runners on first and second, Wilcox hit right to the pitcher’s mound as Smith surprisingly caught the ball for a double play to end the inning.

Up until the bottom of the last inning, with Paly still down by one, the Vikings looked to get some runs. Isacc Feldstein (’13) hit to first base, and with one out, Alec Furrier (’13) pinch hit for Austin Kron (’14) and was intentionally walked. Daniel Erlich (’14) pinched hit for Daniel Tachna-Fram (’14) and grounded out at short stop to end the game.

“I thought we played alright, our offense was struggling a little, but you’ve got to give credit to  the pitcher on the other team. But defensively I thought we played good, Smith said.  “[We want] to win a league title and then our second goal would be to win CCS, but we’ve got to take it step by step and game by game.”

Paly will take on Carmel High School, away this Saturday.