Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024
Jason Hu and Ben Levav April 11, 2024

Brief: In close match, Paly golf squeaks by Gunn 196-201

The Paly golf team extended its undefeated record to 8-0 with a narrow win over the Gunn High School Titans at the Palo Alto Municipal Golf Course this afternoon. John Knowles (‘15) shot the low round for Paly with a 38. Grant Raffel (‘13), Alex Hwang (‘15), Sam Niethammer (‘14) and Patrick Fuery (‘14) rounded out the scoring for Paly, with the team’s score totalling 196 to Gunn’s 201.

The win came against the defending Santa Clara Valley Athletic League (SCVAL) champions. Team captain Raffel was pleased with the team’s performance against tough competition.

“All around I’d say it was a solid effort,” Raffel said. “We were all consistent, and it was pretty windy out there and not ideal scoring conditions and I think we held it together pretty well, didn’t make too many mistakes. Gunn and us are definitely the two top teams in our part of the league and I think all of us on both teams were expecting a close and competitive match.”

With a month of regular season competition left before the league tournament, the team looks to continue its winning streak and capture a league title.

“We just want to take it one match at a time and keep winning but our overall goal would be to win the league tournament,” Raffel said.

The Vikings take on Fremont High School next Tuesday at the Sunnyvale Municipal Golf Course as they continue their quest for a perfect season.