The Viking Magazine : Zach Rizk

And we’re off: College football kick-off

Zach Rizk, Columnist
September 8, 2013
Filed under College Sports, Columns, Top Stories

There really aren’t many things that I love as much as college football. Questionably better than my prized Chick-Fil-A, it's easy for me to acknowledge the month of September, of college football, as the most wonderful time of year. This year, it didn't take long for... Read More »

Analyzing Manziel: Actions expressing priorities

Zach Rizk, Columnist
August 26, 2013
Filed under College Sports, Columns, Football, Top Stories

Johnny Manziel. Johnny 'Football'. Johnny Heisman. We’ve all heard the nicknames for last year's Heisman trophy winner. But when was the last time you heard someone acknowledge the young phenomenon simply as a college student? It’s hard to acknowledge... Read More »

Chryst picks Stanford over USC, Alabama

Chryst picks Stanford over USC, Alabama

Zach Rizk, Columnist
June 29, 2013
Filed under College Sports, Fall Sports, Football, Top Stories

Palo Alto high school’s standout quarterback Keller Chryst (‘14) decided to stay in his hometown, Palo Alto, after committing to the Stanford Cardinal, Thursday. Chryst picked Stanford over offers from Alabama, Arizona, USC and Pitt. "I just felt it was the best for me overall," Chryst said to... Read More »

Baseball tops Watsonville in CCS, 12-4

Baseball tops Watsonville in CCS, 12-4

Zach Rizk, Columnist
May 22, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Top Stories

Palo Alto started Central Coast Section play strongly with a decisive, 12-4 win over an error-plagued Watsonville team that couldn’t match the Vikings' potent offense. The victory sends Paly to the quarterfinals of Central Coast Section Division I play on Saturday when... Read More »

Brief: Baseball drops third in a row with loss to Serra

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
February 26, 2013
Filed under Baseball

The Palo Alto high school baseball team lost today's competition to Serra High School, with a score of 9-2. In a game filled with errors, three relief pitchers and only two runs, the Vikings were unable to find much consistency throughout the game. The Vikings found themselves in a hole, trailing... Read More »

Vikings come short on comeback, lose home opener to St. Ignatius

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
February 20, 2013
Filed under Baseball, Top Stories

Paly's baseball team struggled to overcome St. Ignatius this afternoon, losing 9-3, to begin their season. St. Ignatius started off hot driving in two runs before the Vikings could take to bat. The Vikings, however, struggled in the opening inning, as Austin Poore ('13) was the only one of the... Read More »

Paly to take on Riordan in the first round of CCS

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
February 20, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Top Stories, Winter Sports

It's been quite the season for the Paly boys' basketball team. The Vikings won all 12 of their league games by double digits, currently hold the best record (23-1) of any high school team in Northern California and finished their season on a 21-game winning streak. The Vikes, however, still... Read More »

Boys’ hoops grab 20th straight in decisive victory over Gatos

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
February 10, 2013

“It is what it is” Aubrey Dawkins (‘13) said on his feelings about Friday night being his last home game with The Vikings. Dawkins led his team in scoring, dropping 18 points and grabbing 11 boards to help rally his team from a three point, first quarter deficit to... Read More »

ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer talks Chryst, Super Bowl with The Viking

Zach Rizk and Paul Bienaimé
January 26, 2013
Filed under Pro Sports, Top Stories

During the Paly boys' basketball team's 41-30 victory over the Mountain View Spartans on "Quad Night," Super Bowl winning quarterback and ESPN analyst  Trent... Read More »

Paly ‘Quad Night’ features Paly-Gunn rivalry

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
January 25, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Basketball - Girls

Palo Alto High School will host a Quad Night tonight involving cross-town rival Gunn. Girls' varsity will tipoff at 6:15 tonight following the JV girls game. The Lady Vikes enter the game with a 4-1 record in league. The rivaling Titans boast a 3-2 league record making this an intriguing matchup:... Read More »

The Viking sits down with Trent Dilfer

Zach Rizk and Paul Bienaimé
January 25, 2013
Filed under Videos

Former NFL quarterback Trent Dilfer sits down with The Viking for an interview reasoning his attendance to a Paly boys basketball game. Dilfer was here to watch Keller Chryst, a family friend, and tells us about his Super Bowl XLVII predictions.

Boys’ soccer collects another win, outlasting the Matadors 2-0

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
January 23, 2013
Filed under Soccer - Boys, Top Stories

Paly opened up first half play against the Monta Vista Matadors firing on all cylinders.  Forward Chris Meredith (‘13) set the tone when he netted the first goal of the game en route to Paly's 2-0 victory over the Matadors. “Chris is always tough,” Viking head coach Briggs said about Meredith.... Read More »

Not living so strong now

Not living so strong now

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
January 21, 2013
Filed under Columns, Pro Sports, Top Stories

If you were one of the world's most renowned athletes, would you be willing to destroy the lives of the people who accused you of committing the very acts that you publicly opposed in order to protect your own lies, ego and legitimacy? If you read my previous column regarding Armstrong, you’ll understand... Read More »

Chryst’s 17 points lead Vikings to 12th straight win

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
January 15, 2013
Filed under Basketball - Boys, Winter Sports

The Vikings improved to an overall 14-1 record and captured their 12th consecutive win Tuesday after a decisive, 56-25 victory over the Cupertino Pioneers. Paly was led by center Keller Chryst ('14), who posted a team high 17 points in the Viking’s victory. Coach Adam Sax was pleased with how... Read More »

Football season ends with 52-35 loss to Serra

Alan Lamarque and Zach Rizk
November 16, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Football, Top Stories

The Palo Alto Viking's football team dropped a 52-35 decision to the Serra High School Padres in the first round of the Central Coast Section Open Division Playoffs Friday night at Hod Ray Field. Paly struck first, late in the first quarter with quarterback Keller Chryst (‘14) connecting with running... Read More »

Vikings drop 56 points in win over Mountain View

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
November 2, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Football, Top Stories

Paly football brought an offensive show to Spartan Stadium on Friday afternoon, winning 56-28 and advancing to 7-2 (6-1 league) in a game where Justin Gates Mouton ('13) recorded three touchdowns and Matt Tolbert reached 1,000 yards on the season. On the opening kickoff,... Read More »

The Vikings triumph over Wilcox 38-12

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
October 13, 2012
Filed under Fall Sports, Featured Sports Scrollbox, Football

The Palo Alto High School football team improved their record to 4-2 with a 38-12 win over the Wilcox Chargers, spoiling the Chargers' homecoming game. After forcing a Wilcox three and out, the Vikings drove down the field to the Chargers 20, only to stall on the 3rd down. Palo Alto called out their... Read More »

Football routs Gunn 48-0

Football routs Gunn 48-0

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
September 22, 2012
Filed under Football, Top Stories, Uncategorized

With Palo Alto mayor Yiaway Yeh and East Palo Alto mayor Laura Martinez in attendance, the annual Paly-Gunn rivalry was renewed on Paly turf tonight when the Vikings (2-1,0-0) beat the Titans (2-2, 0-0) 48-0. The Vikes got off to a promising start when Malcom Davis ('14) returned the opening kickoff... Read More »

Stripped of…everything?

Stripped of…everything?

Zach Rizk, Staff Writer
September 5, 2012

As long as you haven’t been living under a rock for the past decade, it is safe to say that you, reader, are familiar with the name Lance Armstrong. As a seven year Tour de France winner, top tier worldwide cyclist, cancer survivor and founder of the famous “Livestrong” foundation,... Read More »