Paly girls lacrosse loses 10-3 to Mountain View
Avery RellerApril 25, 2024
Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024
Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates
Paly Baseball Defeats Gunn 11-3
Tyler Martin, Online Editor-in-Chief • April 20, 2024

Trick plays win consolation match for Sophomores, 14-7

The Sophomore powderpuff team took the third place consolation game over the class of 2014 on a rainy Wednesday afternoon on the quad.

After a four and out from the Freshmen players, Sophomore Tia Rabinovitz took a pass midfield before Nina Kelty ran in a touchdown from a reverse from teammate Sierra Parker. Again the Freshmen were not able to convert, as quarterback Julia Saul threw an interception to Sophomore defensive back Annie Susco.

Despite an eight yard gain from Kelty and six yard run from Stephanie Allen (’13), the team was not able to capitalize on the good field position, as the quarterback Maya Padilla (’13) threw an interception to Pippa Raffel (’14) on the next play.

Saul seized the opportunity to throw a long pass along the sideline to receiver Andrea Clerici Hermindinger (’14) who ran into the endzone for a touchdown and the tie.

On the ensuing play, the Sophomores caught the Freshmen off guard, by running the reverse again to Kelty, who ran the ball to the one yard line. However, the team went 0 for 3 on their next three plays, to turn the ball over to the class of 2014.

The Sophomores then formed up their defenses, as Saul ‘s passes to Audrey Debruine (’14) and to Clerici, were both broken up for short gains and another four and out. Kelty again ran the reverse to perfection for the Sophomores, after a large gain by Rabinovitz to pull ahead with a 14-7 lead.

In need of points, the Freshmen then tried a reverse but to no avail as the drive ended once again in a four and out. Following the theme of the game, Kelty and Parker once again tried the reverse but were cut short as the ball was dropped in the exchange.

“It’s a really good play,” Kelty said. “Our coach did good job coming up with plays and it definitely worked. We practiced it a lot and got the timing.”

With one more chance to tie the game on the last drive of the game, Saul’s first two passes were tipped away by Sophomore defensive back Nora Carlson-Strom before picking the ball off to end the game.

The final will be played between the Junior and Senior classes tomorrow afternoon on the quad.