Fueling Your Fitness
Amanda Goody and Jonathan Yuan March 28, 2024
Winning With Water Bottles
Game Day: Pregame Rituals with Varsity Athletes

Baseball triumphs over Saratoga, 7-2

This sunny afternoon, the Palo Alto High School baseball team beat third ranked Saratoga 7-2.  Saratoga started the game off strong with two runs in the top of the first inning but could not keep their momentum.

“We played as a team,” B.J. Boyd (’12) said. “They started off the game with two runs, but we just kept our composure and just played our game and came right back.”

After beating the Falcons on Wednesday,  the Vikings expected more from them this time around.

“After beating a team, like we did, the first time you’ve got to expect that they’re going to come back a little more aggressive and  with a little more fire the next time,” coach Erick Raich said.

The Vikings made their mark right off the bat.  To start the game, Boyd hit a single just over the Falcons’ pitcher Kyle Dozier (’13).  To follow that up, Austin Braff (’12) hit the ball into far right field which was caught by a Saratoga outfielder.  Boyd tagged up on the play and made it to second base.  John Dickerson (’12) hit into an out at first but was able to advance Boyd. With Boyd now on third, Clay Carey (’12) stepped up to the plate.  A hit up the middle sent Boyd home for the Vikings first run.

During the top of the second, pitcher Ben Sneider (’12) held the Falcons to one hit by Brady Horn (’12) into deep left field.

Paly continued to play strong in the bottom of the inning.  It started with Isaac Feldstein (’13) getting walked to first.  Michael Strong (’13) next hit a single that advanced Feldstein to second.

A bad pitch to Jack Witte (’12) allowed Strong to steal second and Feldstein to steal third.  Strong then stole third and Feldstein stole home after a bad throw from the catcher.  The game was now tied at two, with Strong at third and Witte at first after a walk.

Boyd came up next to the plate for the Vikings.  He hit Strong in from third to give the Vikings a 3-2 lead at the end of the second.

The top of the third did not go as well as the second. Sneider let Saratoga secure a couple hits and walked two batters.  Yet, he held them scoreless for the inning.

The Vikings scored again when Feldstein knocked in James Foug (’13) who had replaced Christain Lonsky (’12) when he got skimmed by the ball.  The third inning ended when Justin Grey (’12) unsuccessfully tried to steal home.

After another scoreless top inning for the Falcons, the Vikings took to the plate to score two more runs by Strong and Braff.

Now leading 6-2, the Vikings powered through a scoreless inning for both teams.

Paly ended the top of the sixth with three quick outs.  A pop fly by Braff brought in Feldstein for his second run of the day and ended the inning.

The game ended with Paly ahead 7-2.

Although baseball can be competitive, Raich believes that the players should relax a little.

“You’ve got to go into every game thinking that it’s just another game, not that you can’t take it to lightly or put too much pressure on yourself,” Raich said. “Just go out there and have fun.”