Interconnectivity: How self-centered and oblivious athletes negatively affect those around them

If you’ve ever had the pleasure of taking AP Environmental Science with Mr. Scott, you know that no action is isolated; everything affects its surroundings, and vice versa.

In the wake of the 50-game suspensions handed down to Bartolo Colon and Melky Cabrera, we see this statement put into perhaps its purest form.

After both testing positive for testosterone, Colon and Cabrera reflect a startling trend in professional sports. Athletes are seemingly less and less aware of their impact on society and how they affect the lives of others.

It may seem counterintuitive. In an age where social media can spread information faster than Charles Barkley can add you to his Fave Five, one would assume that athletes would see this and become more cautious in what they say and do. Knowing this, Cabrera’s actions seem all the more foolish.

In an attempt to cover up his steroid snafu, Cabrera allegedly created a fake website which would make it seem as if he wasn’t responsible for the so-called “mix-up.” Being the computer whiz that he is, Cabrera was unsurprisingly caught red-handed and his deceitfulness was exposed showing something truly concerning about his character.

Now, in no way do I mean to condemn the act of lying. We’ve all lied at some time or another in our lives. Whether it is a child lying about stealing cookies or a presidential candidate lying about taxes, lying has been a part of human nature since the dawn of time. However, Cabrera’s behavior reflects the notion that he sees himself as better than the MLB. Cabrera’s actions show that he thought he could not only take performance enhancing drugs and get away with it, but, if he ever were to get caught,  outsmart the league and pull the wool over the eyes of not only the league, but of all players, analysts and fans alike.

However I’m sure that these weren’t Cabrera’s thoughts or intentions. I don’t think Cabrera is nearly as conniving as I just made him out to be, but that is completely superfluous to my point. Cabrera’s actions could certainly be interpreted the way I just did. His web of lies made it seem as if he had no regard for the reputation of the league or its players. Due to the drastic increase in the use of  PEDs, many players’ accomplishments have been lessened by suspicion of steroid use. As a result, Cabrera’s actions continue to lessen the accomplishments of others who do not use PEDs.

Although again, I assume Cabrera didn’t intend to do what he did, but this oblivious nature has become all too prevalent in our country’s best and most famous athletes. They simply don’t grasp the fact that they affect everything and everyone around them. Hope Solo’s bitter Twitter tirade about Brandi Chastain made it seem as if being critical and self-centered is alright. Now I’m sure Solo didn’t mean to send this unsportsmanlike message to children across the globe, but the fact remains that she did.

Now Paly, as we get our 2012-2013 school year started, we need to remember that all of our actions affect others, whether we are on the field, in the classroom, or at home. Don’t let your actions make you or those around you seem like a bonafide scrub.