Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Girls’ lacrosse breezes by Leland Chargers on Senior Night

On Senior Night at Palo Alto High School, the girls’ lacrosse team breezed by the Leland Chargers, ending one of the seniors’ last home games with a winning score of 20-3.

The team started the game off quickly by scoring three unresponded goals within the first few minutes of the half. After a few more goals scored by Charlotte Biffar (‘13) and Nina Kelty (‘13), the Chargers were eager to put numbers on the board and did so with two quick goals.

The Lady Vikes entered halftime leading the game 11-2.

The game took place after the Senior Night ceremony where seniors received flowers and a personal speech from the younger players on the team. Coach Jamie Nesbitt reflected upon this year’s successful season after tonight’s performance.

“I think its definitely been tough to keep the level of intensity up,” Nesbitt said. “But I think what really came up tonight is their teamwork and getting everybody the ball and trying to get different people to score which is always a fun part about senior night.”

The team’s tradition is continued as all twelve seniors scored to defeat the Leland Chargers. In the second half, even goalie Emma Beckstrom (‘13) grabbed an attack lacrosse stick and did everything she could to score. Later on, she proceeded to sling the ball into the net on a penalty shot. Beckstrom scored the Vikings’ 16th goal of the game, changing their lead to 16-2.

Attackman Simone Buteau (‘13) was more than excited for her team to win at home on Senior Night.

“I feel like we played incredibly well and put on a good show,” Buteau said. “One of our traditions is to get all the seniors to score a goal, and so we lost a little bit of our focus but overall we played really well with all twelve girls playing.”

The girls’ lacrosse team keeps their undefeated league record of 13-0 and overall record of 17-2. Come see the Lady Vikes play the Amador Valley Dons on May 7 at 7:00 p.m. here at Palo Alto High School.

Paul Bienaimé, Multimedia Editor
Paul Bienaimé is a Junior at Paly and a staff writer for The Viking. Paul runs cross-country and plays lacrosse for Paly. In his free time enjoys playing golf with his friends and attending the weekly yoga session at Form Fitness.