Fueling Your Fitness
Amanda Goody and Jonathan Yuan March 28, 2024
Winning With Water Bottles
Game Day: Pregame Rituals with Varsity Athletes

Girls’ basketball crushes San Mateo 82-29

Maddie Atwater (’16) shoots a free throw during the third quarter. The Vikings went on to win 82-29.

The Paly girls’ basketball team dominated San Mateo High School on Wednesday night beating them 82-29.

The team got of to an early lead with contributions from several players on the team including huge production from Siggi Bengston (’16) and Alexis Harris (’16).

By the end of the first half the Lady Vikes held a commanding 44-23 lead.

The Vikings full court pressure accounted for many points in transition and led to many San Mateo turnovers. Paly was able to capitalize on those opportunities and score numerous points while playing lock down defense against San Mateo’s offense.

Although Paly only gave up 29 points in the whole game, coach Scott Peters felt they still need to work on defense.

“We are going to continue to work on defense,” Peters said. “That’s what we’ve got to sell out.  Defense and rebounding.”

Bengston agreed with Peters, saying that their main focus for the future will be defense.

“Defensively we still have a little bit to work on,” Bengston said. “Mainly we need to work on our defensive rotation on press.  It’s a little bit weak right now.  Boxing out and getting defensive boards is another main point.”

Overall, the Vikings were pleased with their performance tonight.

“I thought we did a really good job playing as a team,” Courtney Lovely (’16) said. “We shot a bunch of threes and were on fire tonight.”

Bengston echoed Lovely, agreeing that the team played well, especially on offense.

“I cannot remember the last time we got 82 points in a game,” Bengston said. “We played really great. Defensively we still have a few things to work on, but other than that we were really solid.”

Peters was happy with his teams performance as well and pleased to see all the players putting in a lot of effort.

“I thought we played well,” Peters said. “There are so many players that are working hard. “This is truly a team.  These girls are working hard and playing hard.”

The Vikings will take on Alisal this Saturday at home at 1:30 p.m.