Girls’ basketball defeats Wilcox

Max Jung-Goldberg, Staff Writer

The Lady Vikes took home another win against Wilcox High School, 54-44, at Gunn High School last night.

Junior guard Carly Leong led the way with 17 points, five rebounds, along with three assists. Skylar Burris (‘17) and Lauren Koyama (‘17) added 11 points a piece and Maya Lathi (‘17) had six points with four rebounds.

The win pushes the team to an outstanding 16-3 overall, not to mention they are a perfect 9-0 in league.

“I think our team chemistry is what makes our team succeed,” Koyama said. “We know what everyone is capable of doing and we put each other in the position to do so. It has been hard losing Julie [Chandler], and we are currently making adjustments to succeed even her not on the court.”

Three point shooting has been a strong suit for the team this year and it was no different against Wilcox yesterday.

“As a team we shoot threes every practice, and embrace that our strengths really are from behind the line,” Lathi said. “Our coach gives every player the green light. Lauren and Carly are incredibly consistent shooters and do so much for this team with their shots and drives.”

The group looks to stay on a role in league as they play an away against Homestead High School on Friday, February 10.