Lucas TungApril 15, 2024
The Hidden MVPs
The Hidden MVPs
Jason Hu and Ben LevavApril 11, 2024

World Series Game 1-First Person Account

Hordes of Giants fans file into AT&T park before their team routed the Detroit Tigers 8-3 on Wednesday night.

Too fabulous to put in words. That’s the best I can do to describe what attending Game 1 of the World Series was like. And now that I’ve had some time to reflect on the Giants’ 8-3 pounding of the Detroit Tigers, I figured I’d share what the whole experience was like.

I was incredibly excited to be going to the game but also nervous, knowing anything could happen. After all the Giants barely squeaked out a National League Championship Series (NLCS) title and were up against a potent Detroit Tigers lineup and reigning American League MVP and Cy Young Award winner, Justin Verlander.

Walking through Willie Mays Plaza and the opening gates, ticket in one hand and rally rags in the other, I entered a stadium which was radiant with positive energy and attitude. I heard “Let’s go Giants!” from one, and “Verlander has nothing on us!” from others. Every fan I saw was dressed in black and orange and appeared as eager for the game to get under way as I was.

I got into my seat in time to hear our national anthem sung by American Idol Phillip Phillips. Then, next thing you knew the first pitch was thrown by Barry Zito and the World Series was under way.

A sense of relief swept the entire stadium when Zito pitched a scoreless first. Then within minutes the Giants were at bat and all of my inquietude was relieved at that very moment. With all the others, I stood up, waved my orange rag, and yelled as Pablo Sandoval stepped up to the plate. Boom. There it was. Sandoval smacked a chest high Verlander fastball over the center-field wall for his first of three home runs on the night. The crowd erupted.  It was the loudest thing I’ve ever heard. The word “Panda!” echoed in my head during the whole game. All of it seemed unreal.

I still hadn’t understood how and why the Giants were winning 6-0 by the fifth inning when Sandoval made history. He became one of four players to hit three homeruns in a World Series game, let alone in his first three at-bats.

This was the most excitement I had ever felt in my life. Then, the last memory I have of the game is a Jeremy Affeldt pitch that was grounded into a fielder’s choice to end the game.

Game 1 had ended and the Giants were already leading in the series. The stadium was rumbling, hugs were given from all over, and at that very moment it miraculously started to rain, emphasizing the nostalgic feeling of winning both for the team and the fans.

I witnessed history for the San Francisco Giants, an experience I will forever remember.