The Healing Game
The Healing Game
Beau Revenaugh and Carter BurnettMarch 28, 2024
Gridiron Gaming
Gridiron Gaming
Lucas Tung and Tyler CheungMarch 28, 2024
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dylan Robinson, Max Merkel, Tyler Martin, and Grace GormleyMarch 28, 2024

Brief: Boys’ basketball falls to St. Francis, 70-64 in OT

The Palo Alto High School boys’ basketball team fell to St. Francis High School 70-64 in overtime in CCS quarterfinal play on Saturday.

Following their thrubbing of South San Francisco on Thursday, the Vikings faced a tough matchup in the WCAL five seed Lancers. The Lancers, seeded third in CCS bracket play, proved too much for Paly.

The two teams traded baskets nearly the entire game, with neither team really gaining the upper hand. Khalid Johnson (’13) hit a couple of key threes to seemingly give his team the upper hand, but Paly, led by threes from Aubrey Dawkins (’13) and points in the paint by E.J. Floreal (’13) was able to tie the game up. With 3.1 seconds left and the game tied at 58, Paly was unable to score off a baseline inbound, which faulted the game into overtime.

St. Francis immediately took control in the overtime period, jumping out to a six point lead which Paly was unable to overcome.

6’9″ center Drew Dickey (’12) led St. Francis with 19 points, and Khalid Johnson contributed 18. Israel Hakim (’12) led the Vikings with 21 with Floreal adding 19.

This ends the Vikings’ season, and St. Francis plays the winner of the Cupertino/Serra matchup in the CCS semifinals.