Fueling Your Fitness
Amanda Goody and Jonathan Yuan March 28, 2024
Winning With Water Bottles
Game Day: Pregame Rituals with Varsity Athletes

Brief: Girls’ basketball beats Wilcox, 41-18

The Palo Alto High School girls’ basketball team beat Wilcox last night, 41-18, making the Lady Vikes 9-0 in league.

Paly (9-0 De Anza, 15-4) started off sloppily, letting Wilcox take the lead. Lindsay Black (‘12) fouled three times when Paly coach Scott Peters called a time-out to settle his team down.

After the time-out, the Lady Vikes were much more focused on the game, gaining the lead from Wilcox through solid rebounds and fast breaks. By the end of the first quarter, the score was 10-5 in the Lady Vikes’ favor. After they tightened up their defense, they jogged of the court at halftime, leading 21-10.

As the second half started, Paly post Josie Butler (’13) twisted her shoulder in a fight for possession and was taken out for the rest of the game. Butler’s injury, however, made the Lady Vikes play even harder, and soon Stephanie Allen (‘13) scored two free-throws for her team, making the score 30-14 at the end of the quarter.

Paly’s defense held strong again in the fourth quarter, but neither team showed any sign of slowing down. With only a few minutes left on the clock, Wilcox substituted all five players for fresh ones from the bench, who went on score four points that quarter to Paly’s 11. The buzzer marked the end of the game as the scoreboard read 41-18. The Lady Vikes, who beat Wilcox 39-9 earlier this season, kept their perfect record and first place standing in league.

Paly faces crosstown rival Henry M. Gunn High School (6-2 De Anza) at the Titans’ home court next Friday at 6:15.