Fueling Your Fitness
Amanda Goody and Jonathan Yuan March 28, 2024
Winning With Water Bottles
Game Day: Pregame Rituals with Varsity Athletes

Girls’ basketball beats Gunn, 39-33

Palo Alto High School girls’ basketball defeated cross-town rival Gunn High School in a close 39-33 game on Feb. 11.

The Lady Vikes got off to a slow start with only three baskets and two free throws to the Titans 15 points in the first quarter. Gunn had the first, second and third goals (possible video) while Palo Alto had the first foul. The Lady Vikings usual rebounds were few and far between at first, with the Titans catching and scoring many more.

Two baskets in quick succession by Emilee Osagiede (‘12),(possible video) who was MVP of the game for the Vikings, started off the second quarter on a better note along with a basket by Lindsay Black (possible video)(’12). In the first quarter, Palo Alto missed most of their free throws but in the second they made four, two by Sydney Davis (‘11) and two by Black. Josie Butler (’13) made two rebounds, but the Lady Vikes were overpowered by the Titans before they could score. Black got two fouls, and the halftime score was 23-18 in the Titans favor.

Black started the third quarter strong with a steal, but Gunn recovered and scored again. Osagiede made a free throw and after a few minutes of the ball in titan possession, she stole it back and scored another basket. Shamelia Clay (’12) scored the next basket, followed with another one from Black which ended the quarter 29-26 still in the Titans favor.

But in the last quarter, the tide turned to the Lady Vikes. Osagiede made another free throw and Clay made a basket. Katerina Peterson (’11) made a free throw, shortly followed with two more from Osagiede. Butler rebounded the ball from the Titans and the ball was passed to Osagiede, who scored again. Paly pulled ahead 34-33 with about one minute-fifteen seconds left in the game. Osagiede made it 36-33 by scoring two free throws with 33.3 seconds left in the game, and then 38-33 with 12 seconds left. Peterson made the final basket and ended the game 39-33, making the Lady Vikes 10-0 in the De Anza league.