Brief: Volleyball overcomes San Ramon 3-2 in the Nor Cal quarterfinals

The+Vikings+celebrate+a+big+win+with+a+huddle+after+defeating++San+Ramon+in+the+Norcal+quarterfinals.+Dave+Winn+is+pictured+in+the+bottom+left+corner.++
Megan Valencia
The Vikings celebrate a big win with a huddle after defeating San Ramon in the Norcal quarterfinals. Dave Winn is pictured in the bottom left corner.

The Paly girls’ volleyball team defeated San Ramon 3-2 in the Northern California volleyball quarterfinals Tuesday, Nov. 26.

The Vikings lost the first two sets, and were determined to make a comeback. Going into the third set with a drive to succeed, the Vikings defeated San Ramon in the last three sets to win the match.

“I’m really proud of the way we were able to come back, after being down two sets, with renewed energy,” co-captain Becca Raffel (‘14) said. “We were able to fight back; we realized that we didn’t want this to be the last game of our season.”

The team’s escape from defeat in the quarterfinals fueled its desire for more victories in the future.

“I didn’t want this to be my last game,” co-captain Keri Gee (‘14) said. “I didn’t want to lose in someone else’s house. I’m planning on not losing any more.”

The team’s defensive skills led to their ultimate victory, along with the heart that they put into the match at the end of the fifth set.

“I thought we had amazing defense in the end,” Gee said. “We just wanted it so much more than they did in the fifth set. And we just gave it our all for every single point.”

For their next game, the Vikings have aspects of both their mental and physical games to improve upon to come out victorious in the semifinals.

“I think we should work on our serve receive and staying calm,” Raffel said.

The Vikings play Granite Bay in the semifinals on Saturday, November 30th at 7:00 pm in Sacramento.