Boys Water Polo Cruises to 9-5 Victory over Harker

Bryan Look (18) score penalty shot.

Jason Shorin

Bryan Look (’18) score penalty shot.

Jason Shorin, Staff Writer

The Palo Alto High School Varsity Boys Water Polo team beat Harker 9-5 at home this Tuesday.

The Vikings got quick goals in the first period from Brian Look (‘18) and Will Parmeter (‘18). The second period however had a less positive result for the Vikings as they relinquished a 4-1 lead.

Dexter Gormley (’20) cited how the team got off to a slow start in the first half, but responded well in the second half to pull away and get the win.

“We came out a little slow, but we eventually found where we were trying to go.” Said Gormley.

The results backed up Gormley’s comments as the Vikings pulled away quickly in the second half. Look scored his second goal and by the end of the 3rd period the Vikings were comfortably ahead Harker at a score of 7-5.

In the 4th period Paly finished strong as they scored two insurance goals to end any Harker comeback hopes and push the final score to 9-5.

\Paly was able to pull away from Harker, in part, due to their balanced attack not allowing Harker to key in on any one player as Look, Matthew Nemeth (‘18), Gormley, and Javid Alasti (‘19) had two goals each.

Coach Aaron Johnson had some praise for his team’s performance, but also said that there were some areas of improvement in future games.

“We need to learn to be consistent, it’s still something the guys are learning. For positives, the team showed great anticipation, great awareness, and solid defense throughout the game.” Said Johnson.

The Vikings will play their next game against Homestead, at 6:45 at Homestead.

Jason Shorin
Dexter Gormley (’20) looks to capitalize on fast break.