Girls Water Polo falls 10-7 on Senior Night – The Viking Magazine
MENU

Girls Water Polo falls 10-7 on Senior Night

David Hickey

David Hickey

Summer Daniel, Business Manager

Girls water polo fell 10-7 against crosstown rival, Gunn High School, on October 18th.

This wasn’t any ordinary game, however. Teammates, fans, and family members came out in full support of the seniors, Esme Stotland, Grace Rowell, Courtney Kernick, and Estelle Martin on their senior night to commemorate their last home game representing Paly girls water polo.

While the Vikings ultimately took a defeat on paper, it was nothing short of a large improvement. When the Vikings last played Gunn back in September, they fell 11-4, but this time around, they were able to minimize the scoring margin.

According to Chesnie Cheung (‘20), the improvement was largely attributed by Paly’s stellar defense during the match.

“We completely shut down their biggest threat,” Cheung (‘20) said. “She made 6 goals last time we played her and she didn’t make any this time.”

Some notable senior moments include Grace Rowell (‘19) scoring a 5 meter goal, and senior goalie Esme Stotland (‘19) making several key blocks throughout the match.

“[Stotland] was really on fire, and she helped us so many times,” Alexandra Lee (‘20) said.

This was more than just a game for the seniors. It was a chance to play with their fellow high school teammates one last time.

“Senior night was really special and it’s entirely because of the girls I get to play with,” Stotland (‘19) said. “I love them all so much and playing my final home game at Paly with this team is the best way I could have ended the season.”

About the Writer
Summer Daniel, Staff Writer

Summer Daniel is a sophomore in her first semester working on Viking. She plays soccer and enjoys it because of the dynamic and team aspects of the game. Daniel’s was once featured on Klay Thomson’s dog’s Instagram, and she likes to eat bananas before big games.