Paly Football gains a spot in CCS with a 40-23 win over Milpitas

Tyler Martin, Staff Writer

Paly football defeated Milpitas by a final score of 40-23 tonight at Palo Alto High School. This win secured Paly a spot in the CCS playoffs.

Despite falling to an early 14-6 deficit, Paly kept up the energy and scored 20 unanswered points heading into halftime. The offensive production came from two touchdown passes from junior quarterback Declan Packer to wide receiver Amani Elfadil (‘23), of 49 and 30 yards; as well as a two-yard rush from junior running back Jeremiah Madrigal. 

“We need to pick it up at the beginning of the game next week,” Packer said. “[We need to] start off with the foot on the gas, just keep it going.”

Throughout the game, the defense and special teams really stepped up, forcing multiple turnovers on downs, an interception by senior cornerback Leon Unga, and a fumble recovery by linebacker Oliver Marburg (‘23) on a kickoff.

Offensively, Paly continued to impress in the second half, most notably with an explosive 74-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jason Auzenne (‘24).

“Our guys are just playing their hearts out so it is really exciting to see that progression,” Head Coach David DeGeronimo said.

After a rough 1-6 start to the season, Paly has bounced back winning their last two games.

“We have grown each game since the beginning of the season,” DeGeronimo said. “We are starting to put up points and starting to move the ball.”

Paly looks to continue this momentum heading into their last regular season game and the playoffs. While they are excited about the accomplishment, they are going to continue to practice intensely in preparation.

“We are pretty stoked,” Packer said. “So we’re just going to keep practicing harder and keep lifting some weights.”

Paly’s last regular season game will be next Thursday against Jefferson at home, where they will celebrate Senior Night.