Girls’ water polo beats Gunn, 9-8

The Palo Alto High School girls’ water polo team upset cross-town rival Gunn High School, 9-8 at the Paly pool Thursday Night on the Lady Vikes’ Senior Night.

The Gunn team challenged the Lady Vikes right from the start scoring two goals within [[the first]] two minutes of play. The Lady Vikes responded when Skylar Dorosin (’12) scored her first of five goals with 2:42 remaining in the quarter.

“Sometimes we get down [when the other team scores] but his time we were like this team is not going to beat us,” Dorosin said.

Before the end of the first quarter the Titans slipped in another goal to end the quarter at 4-1 Gunn.
The rest of the game continued at this back-to-back pace. Gunn continued to hold the lead throughout the game, but the Lady Vikes held kept the game within three goals.

“Both teams played hard,” Gunn head coach Mark Hernandez said.

The fourth quarter opened with Gunn leading, 8-7. With 4:19 remaining in the game Haley Conner sneaked past the Gunn defense to score her second goal of the game, tying it up.

The ball went up and down the pool as each team tried to secure a victory. With 1:30 remaining Anna Glaves (’11) scored from way outside, giving the Lady Vikes their first lead of the game.

“I was pretty far out so I didn’t think that I’d make it,” Glaves said.

With a minute left, Gunn held the ball looking to tie the score back up. They were however stopped by the Lady Vikes defense, which had held strong throughout the entire game.

“We won the game in our defense,” Dorosin said.

When the ref blew the final whistle the score was 9-8 with the Lady Vikes triumphing over the Titans.

“A lot of people stepped up both offensively and defensively,” Paly head coach Cory Olcott said.

Glaves added, “It feels so ridiculously good that we beat Gunn, because they beat us twice in a row. It’s really satisfying.”