Founder of sports-based technology start-up Enthuse visits Paly

Brian York, a former professional soccer player and the founder of Enthuse, a new sports-based tech start-up, visited Palo Alto High School on Feb. 29 to discuss his platform.
     York grew up near Plymouth, Mass. where he played soccer growing up, first as a forward and then a goalie. He started for four years as the varsity goalkeeper in high school, and subsequently played in college and professionally in Spain for a year as a member of RCD Espanyol.

He then moved back to New England, where he helped start a sports marketing firm that represented top athletes like Dustin Pedroia and Tim Wakefield of the Boston Red Sox and Vince Wilfork of the New England Patriots.

Following his time in New England, York decided to follow several of his friends out to California, where he worked as an accountant for a few years before founding a start-up designed to help venture capitalists. He built the company for a few years, to the point where it ultimately served about 100 venture capitalist firms.

Following his work at the venture capitalist start-up, York began working on Enthuse after noticing a need for something like it. According to York’s slideshow, “Enthuse is a platform for sports events and franchises to engage and reward their fans.” After initially developing custom apps for sporting events and organizations, York realized the need for a single platform that could replace all of the different apps, and Enthuse began to move in a new direction.

Enthuse’s current customers include Miami University, EA Sports, and IMG, who have all used the service at their events. The platform is appealing both to advertisers, who can use it to gain more data and interaction with potential customers, as well as fans and consumers who can gain real rewards in exchange for participation and activity on the service.

When asked about some of the keys to success, York was quick to point out that several of his opportunities came partly from him being in the right place at the right time. However, he also required the ablility to notice the opportunities and take advantage of them when they arose. Among the tools that helped make York successful, according to him, were his elimination of distractions like television, hard work (100 hours per week right now), and persistence in the face of adversity, including rejection.

York is also active in planning events for The V Foundation, a charity dedicated to cancer research.