Boys’ lacrosse beats Los Gatos, 12-9

Attacker Kevin Proceviat (11) works his way around the Los Gatos defense in Palys first season game against the Wildcats.
Attacker Kevin Proceviat (’11) works his way around the Los Gatos defense in Paly’s first season game against the Wildcats.

The Paly boys’ lacrosse team handily beat the Los Gatos Wildcats 12-9 Monday night at Paly’s lacrosse field.

Although the score indicates the game was close, the Vikings’ were able to wrap up the victory with a 9-3 lead heading into halftime.

Attack John Brunett (’11) scored the first goal, a minute and a half into the game by driving into the middle of the crease. Brunett’s goal was followed by fellow attackman Cory Valenti’s (’11) goal, a minute later. Matt Lam (’12) added the third goal of the night, before Gatos notched its own goal as the first quarter ended. 

The Vikings continued their run after Zach Spain (’11) scored off a blocked shot, to bring the Viking lead to 4-1. Seconds later, Brunett laid in another goal before Logan Mendenhall (’13) and Lam each scored, to blow the game open at 7-1. Afterwards, head coach Craig Conover began pulling out his starters out in order to play his second string players.

“It [tonight] wasn’t a big plan, we knew we could beat them if we just put our starters out,” Conover said. “But the idea was to get alot of players out there, see what they can do, so there was alot of confusion and breakdowns.”

Gatos was able to score twice more before the half ended, but Paly responed with goals from Brunett and Andrew Scola (’11) , who scored with just six seconds left in the half.

The Wildcats were once again outscored by the Vikings in the third quarter, scoring one goal to the Vikings’ three. By the fourth qurter, the Vikings’ were in full control, leading 12-4 and most of the starters had been pulled out.

Attackman Jonny Glazier ('13) plays defense on a Los Gatos attacker to knock the ball loose. Photo by Alana Schwartz

Gatos managed to score five goals in the final quarter of the game as Paly score none, but Conover was more Concerned in getting his players more play time.

“It wasn’t our best example of what we can do, but there was a purpose. We didn’t need to go out there and run the score up, we needed to go out and get guys in the game.

The Vikings’ play again Friday at Saratoga at 7:00 p.m.

“[Saratoga] is pretty much the same game plan, get kids in, that haven’t been in, and exercise fundamentals,” Conover said.