Softball loses to Los Gatos 15-0 on Run-Rule

The Paly (4-10-0, 1-2-0) softball team lost to Los Gatos, (5-6-0, 1-1-0) 15-0 on a 10 run differential rule.

With starters Hannah Bundy (‘14) and Tori DeStefano (‘14) goneThe Lady Vikes took the field with Julia Saul (‘14) on the mound and with a few singles, a double, and a walk, the Wildcats managed to score two runs. During the bottom of the first, all three Lady Vike hitters were thrown out at first base. The inning ended with a two run lead by Los Gatos.

During the top of the second, Paly was able to get two outs before allowing a man on base. With a player on second, a Los Gatos hitter hit a single and got an RBI, making the score 3-0. The Wildcat player then stole second base, and with another single, Los Gatos managed to get another run in before the third out. During the bottom of the second, with one out, Paly left fielder and first-baseman Anna Rizza (‘13) hit a double to right field. Another out later, Saul was up. While Rizza tried to steal third, the Los Gatos catcher attempted to throw the ball to her third-basemen to get Rizza out, but the ball hit off of Saul’s helmet, which unintentionally made Rizza safe at third. However, the umpire saw this as an interference on Saul’s part, and called her out, which made three outs for the Lady Vikes.

To start off the third inning, a Wildcat hit a solo home run, and the score remained unchanged the rest of the inning. The Lady Vikes had three singles, a steal, and a walk during the bottom of the third, however, they could not muster up any runs.

During the top of the fourth Los Gatos got a walk and a single, leaving two girls on base. With a drive up center field, the Wildcats got two runs. Paly then got two outs, but with the help of a double, Los Gatos earned another run. During the bottom the fourth, with two outs, center fielder Shannon Fee (‘14) hit a double to left field. Saul then hit a single and advanced Fee to third. With Day up, Saul stole second, however, Day’s hit got caught, leaving the Lady Vikes with another scoreless inning.

The Vikings took the field at the top of the fifth with a new pitcher, Casey Glassford (‘15) on the mound. With two Los Gatos players on second and third, and the ball fell loose behind the plate and the runners advanced. Three doubles in a row for the Wildcats earned them four more runs, and two singles in a row led to two more runs. The Lady Vikes switched pitchers again, and put Saul back on the mound.

“We definitely need to minimize our errors and get our back going,” Rizza said.

During the bottom of the fifth, the Lady Vikes were unable to score, ending the game at a loss of 15-0 for the Lady Vikes.

“In the beginning we were ready to play, but we fell apart and that wasn’t good for us,” Rizza said. “Hopefully we can get it together for the next time we play them.”

The Lady Vikes will take on Burlingame at home on Tuesday, April 10 at 4:00 p.m.