Photo from paly.softball.varsity on instagram.
Paly softball defeats Santa Clara 9-8
Amanda Goody, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Hannah Oh (27) takes a breath
Paly Girls Swim and Dive beat Los Altos High School on Senior Night
Ethan Wang, Staff Writer • March 27, 2024
Beyond the Mirror
Beyond the Mirror
Eliza Gaither, Katie Yen, and Sarah ThiemanMarch 27, 2024

Girls’ and Boys’ track and field overpower Los Altos

Paly girls’ track and field smashed Los Altos 89-33 Tuesday afternoon, and the boys clenched a nail-biter, 65-62. Although the meet is considered home for the Vikings, it took place at Los Altos due to the lack of jumping facilities at Paly.

The meet started off rough for the Lady Vikes as the girls’ 4×100 relay team was disqualified for a bad handoff in an unopposed race. However, the boys defeated the Los Altos team with a time of 42.57 seconds, as compared to Los Altos’s 44.16 seconds.

After a frustrating start for the Lady Vikes, they swept the 1600m and 100m and 300m hurdles.

Captain Audrey DeBruine (’14)  won the 1600m and set a personal record with a time of 5:23.43

“It felt good to PR and to get points for the team,” DeBruine said. “I was expecting Los Altos to be tough and I’m really happy with the way the team performed overall.”

However, the mile-long race was more disappointing for the boys as Los Altos swept the 1600m.

The boys were able to gain a significant amount of points when Jayshawn Gates-Mouton (’13), Nick Sullivan (’14) and Justin Gates-Mouton (’13) swept the 100m.

Victor Du (’13) is now ranked second in CIF in the long jump after leaping 23’3″.  He remains confident that he can one up his competition.

“It felt good but, think I can beat that,” Du said.

The meet came down to a wire for the boys as the girls easily defeated the Eagles.

With Sullivan anchoring, the boys secured the win in the 4x400m.

“I’m very happy that we won; it showed a lot of poise on the part of the boys in the relays and the jumps,” head coach Jason Fung said. “Everything counts in close meets. It’s those meets that really characterize a team. I was a little nervous but I knew they were going to get it.”