Softball triumphs over Mercy, 10-2

Vikings pitcher Julia Saul (14) pitched 12 strikeouts against the Mercy Crusaders.
Maddie Kinnaman
Vikings’ pitcher Julia Saul (’14) pitched 12 strikeouts against the Mercy Crusaders.

The Palo Alto softball team defeated the Mercy Crusaders on Thursday, February 27 at home. This was the Vikings’ second win of the season.

The Vikings’ started the game off slow but improved throughout the course of the game.

“We started out slow, but you know with a little prodding we got back to where we should be playing,” assistant coach Mike Dutto said.

The first inning yielded no runs for either the Vikings’ or the Crusaders, but the Crusaders were able to score the first run of the game in the second inning. The Vikings gained momentum and a substantial lead after scoring runs in third, fourth and fifth innings while only allowing the Crusaders to score one additional run during the fifth inning. This secured a 10-2 win for the Vikings.

The Vikings’ pitcher Julia Saul (‘14) pitched for a complete game, striking out 12 and hitting three runs.

Casey Glassford (‘13) is happy the team won their second game of the season but believes the team has room for improvement.

“While we came out with a win and scored a lot of runs I think it was mostly due to the level of the other team. We definitely need to pick it up but its always good to get a win,” Glassford said.

Dutto has high hopes for the team as the season progressives and hopes to end the season with a much better record than last year ’s record of 3-27.

“Were gonna practice hard,” Dutto said. “We want to go 27-0, thats what you got to think if you think anything else you don’t [go 27-0].”

The Vikings will play next on Tuesday, March 4th at home against the Presentation Panthers.