STUNT Season Recap

Photo courtesy of Lea Santini

Abbie Karel, Staff Writer

The Paly STUNT team wrapped up their first season competing in the SCVAL league, where they competed in tournaments against different teams in the area every week. 

The STUNT team had been preparing for the season since the beginning of sideline season in August, and have practiced consistently every week to prepare. 

“I’m very proud of the team, and how far we have come since the beginning of the year, the level of dedication and commitment shown is truly amazing, and I couldn’t have asked for a better team to compete in my final season of high school sports with,” STUNT captain, Natalie Karel said. “Even though we did not have many victories during the games, I am still so proud of how much each individual athlete has improved.”

The team worked well together despite facing many challenges throughout the year and even included new members to the team throughout each season. 

“It can be a challenge training new athletes who join later on in the year,” Karel said. “But it truly goes to show that if you put your mind to something, and dedicate yourself, you can learn how to do anything.” 

With hope for the new seasons in years to come, the STUNT team prepared to say goodbye to the graduating seniors on the team during the STUNT game hosted by Paly on April 26, 2023, where the graduating seniors were celebrated for their hard work throughout their years on the team. 

“It was a bittersweet moment for me as a senior,” Karel said. “We had a senior night during football season, but this time it was hard knowing that that would be the last time I competed as a Paly athlete.” 

Despite not getting many victories this season, the STUNT team still sees the season as a huge success, being the first time Paly STUNT has ever competed in the SCVAL league. Not only was the STUNT team a success, but the Paly competition cheer team also had a successful season, winning CCS and competing in nationals in Anaheim, California. 

After a successful year of practicing for three different seasons, the Paly cheer team held tryouts for the upcoming 2023-2024 school year for incoming freshmen, and Paly students.