Brief: Girls’ swimming and diving wins tenth consecutive League Championship; Boys win too – The Viking Magazine
MENU

Brief: Girls’ swimming and diving wins tenth consecutive League Championship; Boys win too

Back to Article
Back to Article

Girls' and boys' swimming and diving sweep a record-breaking win at 2012 League Championships, winning all four divisions and giving the girls their tenth straight League Championship win.

Hilda

Hilda

Hilda

Hilda Huang, Business Manager

Head coach Danny Dye’s ritual dunking into the Lynbrook pool marked the Lady Vikes’ tenth consecutive league win at the League Championships and the boys’ seventh win in Dye’s eight years with Paly. The Vikings swept all four divisions, girls’ and boys’ swimming and girls’ and boys’ diving, for a record-breaking win.

Gunn girls lost their nine-point lead in the semifinals, placing second to Paly nine points behind.

“It was such an accomplishment because after prelims, we were projected as one point behind [Gunn],” co-captain Rachelle Holmgren (’12) wrote in an email.

Jasmine Tosky (’12), Jayna Wittenbrink (’14) and Margaret Wenzlau (’12) took first, second and third in the girls’ 100yd butterfly, and Byron Sanborn (’12) won the boys’ 100yd breaststroke.

“I feel so proud to be a Paly Viking,” wrote Haley Mortenson (’13) in an email, who placed fifth in the 100yd free and 11th in the 200yd free. “We all put in our best efforts and came out with another championship.”

Swimming and diving will compete in the Central Coast Section Championships next Friday and Saturday, May 11 and 12, at the Santa Clara Swim Center.

Head coach Danny Dye and assistant coaches Angela Duckworth and Lucy McComas take their celebratory dunk in the Lynbrook pool after winning the League Championships. Photo by Ethan Look.

About the Writer
Hilda Huang, Business Manager

Hilda Huang is a senior and joined The Viking in her junior year because of her love for athletics. After serving as a copy editor her junior year, she...