Boys’ basketball beats Los Altos 63-50

Forward+Max+Dorward+%2818%29+shoots+a+jumper+over+Gunn+player.+

Skylar Burris

Forward Max Dorward (’18) shoots a jumper over Gunn player.

Max Jung-Goldbeg, Staff Writer

The Paly boys basketball team beat league opponent Los Altos, 63-50, last night at Gunn High School.

Junior guard Max Dorward (‘18) lead the way in scoring with 24 points and Jared Wulbrun (‘18) and William Schlemmer (‘18) both had nine points. The defense was clicking as well. Throughout the game they compiled 14 steals and 16 defensive rebounds. On the season now the team is rolling as they move to 11-2 overall and 3-0 in league.

“We’ve been playing really aggressive on defense,” said Dorward. “We press for the entire game looking for traps and opportunities to get steals. We also do a great job scoring in transition and getting easy buckets from turnovers [by the other team].”

Shooting guard Spencer Rojahn (‘18) commented on the team chemistry and the selflessness of this years group.

“I think that the play on the court reflects how close we are because our team is very unselfish,” said Rojahn. This unselfishness has lead our teams success, everyone gets open shots and players find the open man. Also, since we are so close we can push each other to be better without hurting each other’s feelings because we know that we just want to make one another better.”

Coach Peter Diepenbrock talked about the differences between last year’s team to this year’s and how experience is playing a very significant role in the team success.

“We just have everybody with one year more experience of varsity basketball,” said Diepenbrock. “Everybody is more compose, more skilled, stronger, and considerably more confident in their game. The other thing is I think we are playing much more a style that fits our talent and our skill much more than we did last year.”

The team looks to continue their winning ways against league opponent Wilcox on Friday January, 13.