The Healing Game
The Healing Game
Beau Revenaugh and Carter BurnettMarch 28, 2024
Gridiron Gaming
Gridiron Gaming
Lucas Tung and Tyler CheungMarch 28, 2024
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dunking On Stereotypes
Dylan Robinson, Max Merkel, Tyler Martin, and Grace GormleyMarch 28, 2024

Girls’ basketball advances to CCS finals for the first time ever- defeating North Salinas High School 33-25

In a year that has already brought two nearly perfect seasons, the Palo Alto High School varsity girls’ basketball team is continuing the trend. The Lady Vikes, who were undefeated De Anza league champions and have continued the perfection in Central Coast Section (CCS) play. Last night, the team defeated North Salinas High School, 33-25, in the CCS semifinals leaving its league and playoff record a perfect 14-0.

The game was a low scoring affair and both sides matched each other fairly evenly. In the first quarter, Paly pulled ahead by a lone point 6-5. However, at halftime North Salinas had taken the lead by a mere two points, 11-9. North Salinas offense was led by guard Amy Woo (’11), who scored eight points.

“We played a little scared at first,” guard Emilee Osagiede (’12) said. “There was no energy, we were making so many turnovers.”

The Lady Vikes were not phased by this two point difference and turned the tables on Salinas in the third quarter, it was now Paly that led by two, 20-18. Osaigede dominated North Salinas’ defense, racking up 15 points by the end of the night. Osagiede was followed by guard Stephanie Allen (’13) who contributed six points of her own.

“Our energy got up, our confidence got up and we were able to play,” Osagiede said.

The Lady Vikes decided to close out the night with more than a one or two point difference and dominated in the fourth quarter, only allowing North Salinas seven points while a strong Paly offense was able to put away 13 points of its own. Paly defense was able to shutdown North Salinas’ post Julia Ashen (’11) who did not score any points for the night.

Not only is the team celebrating this close victory and the school’s first ever CCS final appearance, they are also celebrating the return of guard Sam Borsos (’11). Borsos had previously been taken out of the season due to a concussion injury sustained nine weeks ago.

The Lady Vikes will face off against No. 3 Gunn High School (9-3 league) this Saturday at 6:00 pm at Santa Clara University. Paly has defeated Gunn both times the team faced off this year.

No matter what happens in their CCS finals, the Lady Vikes will compete in Norcal for the state title.

“I’m happy for the girls,” Paly head coach Scott Peters said. “They worked very hard and this is is about our girls and how hard they play.”