The Boys and Girls Swimming teams defeat Gunn – The Viking Magazine
MENU

The Boys and Girls Swimming teams defeat Gunn

Nathan Ellisen, Head Columnist

The boys and girls varsity swimming teams won on Senior Night, defeating crosstown rival Gunn in an important league match.

The boys team swam a much closer meet than the lady vikes. The boys only won by 5 points, with a score of 94-89. Every swimmer made a difference in the final tally. Dexter Gormley (‘20) was one of the boys who had a successful race in helping the Vikings win. “It was a very close meet” Gormley said. “We [the boys team] all had to compete at our highest level to beat Gunn, but we all swam well and were able to beat them. Our success today should be representative of our chances in the future, including CCS”.

Matthew Clark (‘21) won the 100 meter fly with a time of 53.3, knocking off the Gunn opponent by only .12 seconds. Jack Hogan (‘20) won the 100 meter backstroke by 1.5 seconds with a time of 55.88. The 200 meter free relay team for the Vikings only won by .1 seconds, a margin that gave the boys the win.

On the other hand, The girls were able to breeze by the Titans and win with a score of 110.5-74.5.

Both Claire Lin (‘18) and Zoe Lusk (‘18) swam excellent for the Vikings in order to aid their team in victory.

The girls team also celebrated senior night in good fashion in line with the Gunn team, as both teams were called to the block before their races and stated the colleges they would be attending. The girls team was able to cap off the ceremony with a dominant win over their rivals.

About the Writer
Nathan Ellisen, Staff Writer

Nathan Ellisen is a junior who has been working on Viking since August of 2017. His favorite sport to play is tennis, because its very lowkey and less competitive than other sports. The athlete that inspires him most is Jackie Robinson. “I like Jackie Robinson because more than anyone else in history, he changed sports for the better” Ellisen said. Ellisen’s go-to pre-game song is Beethovens Monlight Sonata.