Varsity Track Dominates De Anza League Finals – The Viking Magazine
MENU

Varsity Track Dominates De Anza League Finals

Nathan Ellisen, CEO

The Boys and Girls Varsity Track Teams Participated in De Anza league finals on Thursday, May 3rd at Paly.

Across the board, the Paly athletes were very successful in their events, winning more events than any of the other teams at the competition.

In the infamous mile run, Henry Saul (‘19), Sam Craig (‘18), and Owen Mackenzie from Los Altos had a nailbiter of a race from start to finish. The three boys ran together as a trio until the last 200 meters where Craig pulled ahead and won it for the Vikings. Craig finished with an astounding time of 4:19, while Owen and Saul finished only a few seconds later.  Craig was able to place first in the entire league, while Saul and Owen placed 2nd and 3rd. Teammate Ian Matheson (‘20) said “It was an incredible race from start to finish. All three of the boys had outstanding times for any level of track and field and should be proud of their performances.”

Along with Craig and Saul in the mile run, the Paly girls also were very successful. Julia Doubson (‘18) ran an incredibly race for the Vikings, dominating the competition. Doubson ran a time of 4:42, winning another mile run for the Vikings at the competition.

Overall, the Vikings won more events than any of the other teams at the event, thus winning the finals for the team. The season has ended for Paly, but a few select individuals from the team will get to compete at CCS and state finals.

About the Writer
Nathan Ellisen, Staff Writer

Nathan Ellisen is a junior who has been working on Viking since August of 2017. His favorite sport to play is tennis, because its very lowkey and less competitive than other sports. The athlete that inspires him most is Jackie Robinson. “I like Jackie Robinson because more than anyone else in history, he changed sports for the better” Ellisen said. Ellisen’s go-to pre-game song is Beethovens Monlight Sonata.