The Viking Magazine : Boys’ tennis rises above Aragon
Palo Alto High School's sports news site

The Viking Magazine

Boys’ tennis rises above Aragon

Carl GoodFriend ('16) jumps up to serve the ball. Paly ended up winning the match against Aragon High School.

Samuel Desré, Staff Writer

Palo Alto High School boy’s varsity tennis took the best out of Aragon High School 4-3 at Paly this afternoon.

Shiv Matta (‘16) was the first one to get points for the Vikings. He quickly defeated his opponent, Lunders Ngirchmat, in two sets with a final score of 6-1, 6-0.

Drew Emersist (‘16) was then quick with earn another victory over David Wu of Aragon with a final score of 6-0, 6-2.

The first Paly double composed of Kevin Huang (‘17) and Raymond Li (‘17) rose above Alex Ilying and Fabio Gallardo in two quick sets that ended 6-1 and 6-2.

The second Paly double also scored points for the team. The third Paly double, however, did not end in the same victory as the previous ones. Henry Badger (‘17) and Dylan Polley (‘17) lost the first set in a close fight that ended 7-5. Unfortunately, the Vikings were not able to answer in the second set and lost it to the Aragon pair made up of Kelvin Yang and William Miyshire in a final score of 6-4.

Mat Li (‘16) was defeated by Jonathan Liu when the Vikings were already assured to win the match with a score of 6-3, 6-3.

The longest match of the day was between Carl GoodFriend (‘16) and Matthew Fowler. After two hard-fought battles during the first two sets, the two had to go to a final tie breaker to find a winner. Carl GoodFriend (’16) could not secure the victory, losing the tie breaker 10-7. This defeat lessened the gap between the Vikings and the Dons.

“Our goals this season are to go to CCS, play well in CCS and go as deep as we can,” Shiv Matta said. “We played alright today, but it was not great.”

The Vikings record was 5-1 before this matchup and extended to 6-1 after a convincing victory. The boys’ varsity tennis team will face Lynbrook High School tomorrow in an away match and hope to improve its record and extend its winning streak.