Paly girls lacrosse loses 10-3 to Mountain View
Avery RellerApril 25, 2024
Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024
Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates
Paly Baseball Defeats Gunn 11-3
Tyler Martin, Online Editor-in-Chief • April 20, 2024

Field Hockey Season Preview 2023

Following last season, the Paly Field Hockey team is ready to make waves in a new league.
Photo courtesy of Karen Hickey

The girls’ field hockey team is back in session and ready to start the new season. Field hockey has only been a part of the athletic program at Paly for a few years now but is gaining more and more momentum each year. 

This year a record number of freshmen came to the summer preseason practices where energy was high and positive right off the bat. “It was never silent, there was always somebody cheering you on. If you made a mistake or if you did really well in a drill, every girl was super supportive,” freshman Laila Joshi said. The welcoming and supportive environment that the field hockey team provides has consistently been one of their distinctive qualities. 

With the positive energy already present, the team is not worried, but rather excited, about the changes they are experiencing this year. The team transitioned to a new league and has a new head coach and are maintaining confidence that this will help them have a successful season. 

Returning players are coming into the new season carrying the successes and failures of last season and using them as motivation in the upcoming practices and games.“It has been super exciting to see Paly’s field hockey program grow and I’m looking forward to seeing all of the new players get to know the sport and our team’s values,” senior Ella Bishop said. “We have a lot we know we want to work on and I can’t wait to see how far we can progress.” The team hopes for competitive match-ups that allow the girls to grow to their full potential. 

Despite a challenging season last year with more ties and losses than wins, the team is optimistic that they will have a better chance this year now that they are in a different league. “We are setting high goals for ourselves and are focused on reaching them,” sophomore Charlotte Barclay said. 

Overall, the team’s goals and values are their greatest priority and they are working hard to become a competitive program that continues to learn and grow throughout each season.