Paly girls lacrosse loses 10-3 to Mountain View
Avery RellerApril 25, 2024
Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024
Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates
Paly Baseball Defeats Gunn 11-3
Tyler Martin, Online Editor-in-Chief • April 20, 2024

Girls Waterpolo Preview Fall ’23

The Paly Girls Water Polo team is coming into the fall season with a handful of new young players who have trained throughout the summer, and veterans who have been dedicating their time to the sport for years. 

The girls are coming off of a strong season, taking the first ever win against top competitors Castilleja and ranking 3rd in Division 1 CCS. The players of last year brought the energy Paly needed to take major strides for the program.

With just 2 seniors returning to the team, there are high hopes for the younger side of the team to perform well, and help guide the team to success. 

Senior Brooke Hudacdek was a player on the team last year, but has decided to become a team manager, as she is focusing on college applications and finishing the senior year off strong. Hudacek understands how important it is to have veteran seniors to lead the team, but is confident that the younger players will be able to step up and perform against competing teams who might have an entire starting lineup of seniors.  

“I do think that seniors can provide a lot of experience and maturity to a team, but from my point of view, I see a team of mature players, regardless of their age,” Hudacek said. “I have no doubt that all of the players are strong contributors to the success I’m sure the team will have in our upcoming season.”

One of the Seniors and starting goalie Mary Henderson, believes that the team has the potential to make it far this year. 

“Although there are a few disadvantages [to having only 2 seniors], I have full confidence that the players will step up and our team will be incredibly successful this year,” Henderson said. “I think that age is not an essential trait in a leader, a good leader can be anyone on the team and all of my teammates are exceptionally capable of taking that position.”

Many promising new players have joined the team, or are returning after a long offseason filled with hard work. Many of these players committed to intense club teams, with some even traveling abroad to Spain for training camps and experience. Some opted to trained with the swim team to hone in on their speed for the regular season. Hard work and determination over the summer has shaped a hopeful season for these returning players as the season kicks off.

New Junior transfer to the team Katie Spitzer is among them, and is eager to place well with the new team.

“We’re hopefully expected to beat teams like Castilleja and Harker so we can finish top three in the league,” Spitzer said.

Delilah Kaplinksy, a Sophomore who was promoted to varsity mid-season as Freshman, is excited for the upcoming season and has big hopes for the future. 

“Last season was a supportive and positive experience,” said Kaplinsky. “This season, I hope that we can create the same environment, and play with even more intensity.”

We look forward to watching the girls succeed in the upcoming season. Stay tuned for weekly updates on our lady Vikes!