Track and Field Season Recap
Track and Field Season Recap
Tyler Frick and Evin Steele May 23, 2024
The softball team gathers in their dugout between innings on their senior night last Thursday. Photo by Grace Gormley.
Softball Season Recap
Trey Collins May 23, 2024
Courtesy of Harry Sherlock
Shadows Over Glory: Manchester City's Premier League Title Amidst Allegations
Ben Levav, Staff Writer • May 23, 2024

Baseball Season Recap

Photo courtesy of Celeste Bates

The Paly baseball squad has had a season nothing short of a rollercoaster ride, filled with victories, challenges, and resilience that demonstrated each player’s character on and off the field. 

With a roster of 23 dedicated players, the Viking boys finish their final game of the regular season, ending with a commendable 15-11 overall record. Despite facing formidable opponents throughout their season, the boys showcased their grit and commitment to the game, securing their respectable third-place finish in the competitive De Anza League with an impressive 10-4 record. 

Their league performance earned them a spot in the Division II Central Coast Section (CCS) playoffs, where they are slated to play the 3-seeded Sacred Heart Cathedral. The matchup is going to be a thrilling showdown this Saturday at 11 am, with the Vikings expected to deliver their best level of play on the road. 

The Vikings started off their season a bit rocky, consistently facing tough competition and competing in multiple tournaments. One of these tournaments that the team participated in is the Boras Classic, where top teams from around the area are invited to play against high-level competition. The Viking finished this tournament with a 1-3 record, falling to Franklin, Woodcreek, and Serra, whilst defeating Central Catholic.

“It was really fun and competitive playing in a tournament with all those teams,” senior Zach Thom said. “Seeing good competition is always a challenge but it benefited us later in the season. Those pitchers were some of the best we saw all year.”

As the Vikings transitioned into their league season, they started to get things going. Despite early league losses, two to Los Altos and one to Los Gatos, the team ramped it up, winning nine league games in a row at the end of their season.

“We were honestly transformed into a different team,” senior Charlie Bates said. “There was a level of cohesiveness that was missing that we evidently found as our team played more games together.” 

Overall, the boys had a successful season, with lots of ups and downs. As the team transitions into the postseason, they hope to continue their recent play and make a deep run into the playoffs.