Paly girls basketball team fall to Monta Vista 57-24
February 22, 2024
Paly Boys Soccer Defeats Santa Clara 2-0
Alena Lotterer, Staff Writer • February 22, 2024
Brian Miller (27) competes against his opponent. Photo courtesy of Brian Miller.
Paly Wrestling Makes History by Placing 3rd at CCS Championships
Amanda Goody, staff writer • February 22, 2024

Boys Basketball Winter Preview

Jason Hu
Varsity Captain Alaap Nair (’24) goes for a layup

Coming off a stellar 18-6 season, the boys basketball team is ready to get the 23-24 started with a win against Pacific Grove.

Varsity Captain Alaap Nair explains the implications of the first game on the team.

“Primarily, it will set the tone for the new team and we will figure out how our playstyles affect the game,” said Nair. “For our first win it will be really pivotal for our players to bring all their energy. So we can see what the future of the team looks like.” 

After losing five seniors last year, the core from last year remains mostly intact. Still, Nair stresses the importance of promoting their mindset. 

“It is my job and the rest of the seniors’ job to enforce that mindset upon the juniors. To show them that varsity basketball.”

“Last year our wins did not come from pure talent. We played really hard defensive. That is one of the things that sets Palo Alto apart. It is important that the seniors show an example to the juniors to show Palo Alto’s defensive mindset.” said Nair.

The team expects excellence from themselves for this season. Winning CCS, their league, and their section are expectations for Nair.

To achieve these goals they are practicing with intent.

“We don’t want to treat varsity basketball as a joke. We love to have lots of positive energy during our practices and games. Our practices correlate to our games.” Said Nair.

With 3 months of games and tournaments ahead of them, Paly’s boys basketball team has an exciting few months ahead of them.