Girls lacrosse fall to Los Gatos 13-5 tonight
Eliza Gaither, Creative Director • April 24, 2024

Welcome to Paly, boys.

A new school year means new athletes.  Every year each sport loses crucial members of their teams with the hope that up and coming juniors will take  leadership responsibilities into their own hands. We look to underclassmen to help our teams progress and keep the future looking bright. We look to underclassmen to help our teams progress and keep the future looking bright.

Most varsity teams at Palo Alto High School will take on one or two incoming freshman while the others are put on junior varsity for further development. These lucky freshman are the underdogs for the first year, but year after year they develop into the team leaders.

The Viking’s girls’ soccer team had a disappointing season last year, but the spirits were kept high by goal keeper Ali Kershner (‘11). She lead the team from the goal line with inspirational talks and support on the field; there is no surprise she has been on varsity since her freshman year. She is the perfect example of every coaches plan for their young freshman athletes.

Last year, the varsity volleyball and football teams set the standard for sports at Palo Alto by winning championships. The 2011-2012 football team is trying to keep the undefeated streak alive, despite losing many key players.  Football relies on their seniors more than any other sport played at school, so naturally every year they are hit hardest when losing their dominating forces to graduation. The new and talented varsity additions on each team are training to be the leaders of tomorrow and take the place of players lost every year.

Improving sophomores and superior freshman are the prime candidates to be these leaders and are selected carefully. However, some teams are lucky enough to have transfer athletes fill the gaps.

Matt Tolbert (‘13) and Keller Chryst (‘14) are two transfer football players, and the newest additions to the varsity roster. Moving high schools at any age is hard, but being on a sports team can make it that much easier.

“It was weird at first, but it is easier now that I have made more friends at school, almost all of them from football,” Tolbert says.

The new team is looking primed for perfection with a win over San Benito on Sept. 2. Suspense is building and everyone is gearing up on campus for a new season.
As the new guys on the quad, it seems as though all eyes are on the transfers – and for a good reason.

Welcome to Paly, boys.