Grace Gormley April 15, 2024
Lucas Tung April 15, 2024

Oh, Thanksgiving

Turkey smothered in cranberry sauce next to a mountain of mashed potatoes and endless desserts just waiting to be devoured. Who doesn’t love thanksgiving?

By the end of the night I can always judge how much I really like the food by the magnitude of my stomach ache. This year it came early, right after dinner I needed to lay down. I was right in front of the tv sprawled across the couch. The ravens were racking up the points and the cousins were getting into it.

Somewhere between closing my eyes and being passed out the Ravens finished the game off, and all my cousins moved downstairs to the rec room for the full effect and surround sound.  My food comma was disrupted by the sounds of my  cousins arguing about the game. I slowly sat up only to find that everyone had left the room – well almost everyone.

That’s the thing with our family gatherings, they aren’t just family. You are never really alone because so many people are there. If you are in any way related to, or acquatinted with a family members neighbor, friend, or third-cousin twice-removed, you are invited to our Thanksgiving. Usually over 50 people show every year, and I don’t even know half of their names.

When I woke up, I noticed an older couple seated on the couch to the left of me.  They seemed to both be staring at me in complete confusion. It was an awkward silence until the woman asked who I was, and then it was just awkward. After explaining my relation we were back to an awkward silence. To the rescue, One of my cousins called my name. She had saved me a plate of every type of pie,  I ate as much as a could without going into another food comma right at the table.

It was now 11:30 p.m. and I was ready for bed. My brother drove us home as I struggled to keep my eyes open. I don’t remember changing or getting into bed but somehow I got there and a warm bed never felt better.

After what had seemed like five minutes in bed, I heard an obnoxious beeping piercing my eardrums – my alarm was going off.
I looked at the clock, 7:00am, I thought to myself, maybe I just left it on because of school and with a quick glance of my room I realized it wasn’t for school. My cleats were staring me in the face, I had early morning practice.

I barely made it through the two hour practice, and I was back in my food comma right after.

To be honest, I’m surprised I even made it to practice. that’s why I decided that the day after thanks giving should also be a holiday – a day of recovery.

Practice was painful but I still love thanksgiving. It may be my very favorite fourth Thursday in the whole year.
That is – until Friday morning.