100 Paly Sports Photos over 4 Years

David Hickey, Staff Writer, Photographer

I never intended to become a sports photographer. I would say luck had something to do with it but really it was a combination of good and bad luck. Bad luck that I broke my arm playing football but good luck that my mom was willing to let me pick up a camera with one arm. One game turned into a season, the season turned into a year, one year became a career.

And now here I am. At the end of the line. My high school career is over. I have no more games to take photos of. Sure I’ll continue in college but what I’ve been doing for the past four years is over. It’s been a great run. I’ve joined the best publication at Paly, worked with local newspapers, attended almost all sports at Paly (Sorry Badminton, Diving, and Field Hockey), and attended countless playoff games. I’ve celebrated with CCS champions and sat on the sideline just as many times, watching as the opponent celebrated winning CCS. I’ve seen buzzer beaters, incredible comebacks, and heartbreaking losses. I’ve taken around 400,000 photos and probably have worked for over 1,000 hours; numbers that four years ago a young freshmen picking up a camera for the first time would never have believed.

As I look back on my time as THE sports photographer at Paly, I compiled my 100 best sports photos from the past four years. The selection process took a few weeks to go through all of the games I attended, searching for the best photos. Although there are photos I probably missed along with photos that are very good and didn’t get selected, I feel like these 100 photos represent my career as a sports photographer over the past four years. To view the photos, you can visit my website or click on this link: https://davidhiphotos.zenfolio.com/p287421441

I hope you enjoy my photos. Thanks to everyone who taught me about photography and supported me over the past four years. It has been an incredible experience.